not a felon..but have a felony arrest..can i?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
im not sure, i need to check that for sure.. but all that comes up in a background check is the arrest record.. not a felony, or a conviction.. arrest only.

In order for your deferred sentence to be complete and not count as a conviction, it must be expunged upon completion of the terms of your deferral. If it's not expunged, it's still out there.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Deferred-Sentences-and-Suspended-Sentences-in-Oklahoma&id=5071273

http://www.justanswer.com/criminal-law/1df77-received-deferred-sentence-oklahoma-10-years-ago.html

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the deferred sentence is in Oklahoma, our state laws provide that upon successful completion of probation, the case is dismissed. And then once it is expunged, it is legally deemed that the incident never took place, and the law authorizes you to truthfully say so.

Other state's laws are different. I hear in some states that what they call a deferred sentence is really more like what we call a suspended sentence, in that it is still considered a felony conviction even after probation is complete.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the deferred sentence is in Oklahoma, our state laws provide that upon successful completion of probation, the case is dismissed. And then once it is expunged, it is legally deemed that the incident never took place, and the law authorizes you to truthfully say so.

Other state's laws are different. I hear in some states that what they call a deferred sentence is really more like what we call a suspended sentence, in that it is still considered a felony conviction even after probation is complete.

Which is why it's important to make sure it's legally expunged at the end of the deferrment. We get people who claim they don't have a felony record and fail to disclose their deferrment in Oklahoma all the time. They still show up with a felony on their CHRC because it hasn't been expunged, and then they've violated federal law. Without the expungement, it's still on the record available to law enforcement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom