School shootings. Ideas on how to reduce the damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The purpose of the post is not to totally prevent this, read the title, but reduce the body count. We all know that someone with a death wish, intending to do harm, will succeed in doing harm. The point is to reduce the damage by said individuals. Arming security, teachers, staff, volunteers, is a way though it would require a change of legislation as it is currently against the law to carry there. Good ideas, keep em coming.

We're not sure if the shooter checked her room or not, but if so this teacher's quick thinking saved children.It's also fair to say she probably did much to help alleviate the fear and trauma those children felt..

Newtown Teacher Refused to Unlock Door for Police Fearing Gunman's Trick

When the shooting began, Roig said she quickly got up and closed her classroom door and ushered the children, all aged 6 and 7, into the class bathroom. She helped some climb onto the toilet so they could all fit. Roig said she then pushed a wheeled storage unit in front of the door.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/newtown-te...door-police-fearing-gunmans/story?id=17976299

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
biggsly , you need to check gym, cafeteria doors ,or any other exit points they are always open or a student will open the door for you. yukon h s is not secure because of id's.. many of the staff and students dont carry id's. security is very relaxed

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is what the do in Israel. I don't see any kids being traumatized.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_dennishoddy1_teacherinisrael.jpg

I was just telling my wife that I think it is time to take some of the measures that Israel does to protect it's citizens.

Agreed... but that is also in a country with mandatory military service, that has been in open armed conflict of one type or another for decades with neighboring countries. Unfortunately, I think most of the sheeple in the US would freak at the thought of that kind of security around their poor little fragile children. :(

I would love it... and I would personally volunteer some of my time regularly to patrol my son's school or the public school system where I live and work. We need more parents willing to get involved, we need to encourage honest, responsible, level-headed citizens to get permits and more training, and we need to let them carry on campus. I think volunteer forces would go a LONG ways towards discouraging these kinds of attacks. We've all seen it... where do these attacks happen most frequently??? In places where there are large amounts of vulnerable people, and also most frequently, in places where guns are discouraged our outright banned. Movie theaters (most of these are no-carry zones now, right??? WHY????), shopping malls (same story), and schools. And some in hospitals, most of which are also posted.

Good, hardworking, honest and responsible citizens need to be more PROACTIVE in their protection and defense, and in that of their children and coworkers. We need to stand up and say, "I am not going to allow my kids, family, friends and coworkers to be targets!"

In short, we need a fundamental shift in this country away from sheeple-ism. There are many of us who are responsible gun owners, yes... but we need to stop sitting back and letting the loudmouthed camera-hungry politicians and anti-gun activists slowly work on turning this into an unarmed state. If there are 80 million-plus gun owners in the US, how in the hell did we allow it to get to the point that we have been prohibited from protecting our most valuable assets (our children!) in the one place where they are most vulnerable???

If I go to pick up my son at school, I can't leave my vehicle, because state law says if I walk over to the playground, I just became a felon! This is in spite of the hardened steel lockbock tethered to my seatposts and the 2-way paging alarm with multiple interior and exterior sirens and multiple redundant battery backup. Seriously?

We've allowed our schools to become proverbial barrels full of proverbial baby fish! :(

Well said.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...-should-know-about-school-shootings-and-guns/

“School violence in the U.S. reached a peak in 1993, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. That year, there were 42 homicides by students and 13 ‘serious violent crimes’ - rape, sexual assault, robbery and aggravated assault - per 1,000 students at primary and secondary schools. By 2010, the latest figures available, those numbers had decreased to two homicides and four violent crimes per 1,000 students.”

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...-should-know-about-school-shootings-and-guns/

“School violence in the U.S. reached a peak in 1993, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. That year, there were 42 homicides by students and 13 ‘serious violent crimes’ - rape, sexual assault, robbery and aggravated assault - per 1,000 students at primary and secondary schools. By 2010, the latest figures available, those numbers had decreased to two homicides and four violent crimes per 1,000 students.”

Why, because they're being under reported just like in the University system?

Nearly 1 Mil Public School Crimes Not Reported To Police

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2012/04/nearly-1-mil-public-school-crimes-not-reported-to-police/

Nilbog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been teaching for 20 years and if someone wanted do something crazy, it wouldn't be very hard. We have drills that we practice, but the wall of windows in my room that look out into the common area wouldn't stop a bullet. We just hope and pray nothing ever actually happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom