Smoker advice - need goop remover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a neighbor with a pickup. Ask him if someday he will help you haul that to the carwash that has hot water, you will smoke him a couple pig butt or briskets. (It won't be steamer hot) Take some Simple Green mixed 50/50 and douche it a little. Hot pressure wash it some. Douche again if needed. Hot pressure wash again. When clean load it back up and haul home.

Check it more often and a Simple Clean douche at home followed by a big pot of scalding hot (heat it on the stove) poured into the vent pipe might keep clean up time to a minimum.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I don't want to start a super-hot fire in it, it's a pellet smoker... it's not made for true open flame. My only concern with washing it out at the carwash or otherwise is the heat rod (which ignites the pellets) and the electrical stuff - thermostat and blower.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can't remove the heat rod, thermostat etc then I think a torch in hand will be your best bet.

My mother-in-law called me and asked what I used to clean my fireplace doors and the glass with.
I said a paper towel if they get dirty.

She stated hers were thick with Goo like tar and maybe 1/4" thick.
All those years bragging about how her fireplace could burn 1 log all night.

That smoldering green wood she used did no justice to the inside of her firebox and chimney.

I like hot fires with flames they keep things clean.

Maybe you can get some sheet steel and place it inside the fire box , or maybe some fire brick.

Cover the auger and catch bucket area and make a flamed fire that heats the smoker and chimney.. leave the door open on it some so it can draw some oxygen in and keep that flame cooking to burn the crud out.. or at least dry it out so you can remove it easily.

I really like fire brick.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest some sort of physical removal. Then call it good. Keep an eye on it and scape it out as needed.

No need to clean it to bare metal like a hood vent exhaust. The build up will start again the moment you use it again. I'm not saying it won't lengthen the time between cleaning. But I am saying it won't make enough difference to justify turning a 30 minute job into a 4 hour one.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good idea... I took it out yesterday and got ready to take it to the car wash, but when I went to take the chimney cap off, I found out it doesn't come off. I did unscrew it somewhat and found out it raised up, but did not come off - so sorta like an adjustment. Also on the inside, there is no way to get the water out if I spray it - so I passed. The grease drain is not in the floor of the unit, and I don't want to try to turn it upside down to drain it. I cleaned out the grease drain and sprayed the chimney and chimney cap with some degreaser and got a bunch of it cleaned up, plus the chimney cap is now higher with plenty of room. I'm wondering if this is one way to adjust temp (and smoke?) and if this isn't why my unit has always run hotter - because the chimney was locked down on nearly it's tightest setting? Maybe it'll run a bit cooler now, who knows.

So I might try some more ribs today or tomorrow and see how it runs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one would be tough to clean.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440001281.869123.jpg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my Treager, it says to keep the chimney cap 1" above the opening for optimal heat. If air can not flow out, it will not make good heat. Think opening the damper and air vent to a wood stove, cut the air flow and heat dies down, open it and it rages.

Latest posts

Top Bottom