This could get interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The so called Conservative pundits on TV and radio are making it look like it is only the Liberals who what to attack Religion. Where were they when the Government ruled that American Indian tribes could no longer use traditional native hallucinogenic plants in their religious ceremonies?
Seems many only believe in Religious freedom when it suits them.

Michael

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The so called Conservative pundits on TV and radio are making it look like it is only the Liberals who what to attack Religion. Where were they when the Government ruled that American Indian tribes could no longer use traditional native hallucinogenic plants in their religious ceremonies?
Seems many only believe in Religious freedom when it suits them.

Michael

Or opresses others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love how this thread has drifted away from religious freedom to a huge bunch of excuses. Mostly by the same people defending a persons right to do drugs. I guess the rights they believe in are better then other people's.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love how this thread has drifted away from religious freedom to a huge bunch of excuses. Mostly by the same people defending a persons right to do drugs. I guess the rights they believe in are better then other people's.

Why do you believe that a person has a right to do drugs?

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People are funny. If it was an insurance company saying no, you can't have your Lipitor or Metformin on this plan, everyone would be up in arms and talking about evil insurance companies and how horrible they are. What we have is the government stepping in and telling employers that they must select plans with a basic minimum amount of coverage in order to expand the choices of those employed. But, because it was something passed down by an unpopular (at the moment) president, everyone is up in arms about personal choice.

People: "We'z wants our rights! Deport the Presidend! He hates freedoms!"

President: "I've just created a mandate that will vastly expand the choices you have from your insurance company."

People: "NOZ! Now he's comin' to kill all our babies and forcing our wimenz to go down tha' clinic and gets on the Pill and I even has to pay for the naber's morning-after, death-pill with mine taxes."

Evidence that this is the case will be Santorum's win in Oklahoma on Tuesday with 40% to 50% of the vote.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In response to the Obama admins rules forcing Catholic hospitals and such to provide insurance covering birth control etc, the Catholic church is talking about shutting them down along with Catholic clinics and charities.

http://www.catholicnewworld.com/cnwonline/2012/0226/cardinal.aspx

If they do it will shut down about 1/7th of all hospital beds in the US, and that is not all they do.

I feel the same about the Catholic Church as I do any other organized religion but I have to admit they do a lot of good work and help a lot of people.
The Catholic church won't be shutting anything down.
Worst case scenario would be selling out to a corporate entity like HCA.

The most likely scenario is the church will stop providing paid health insurance benefits for their employees and will instead pay that same amount to the employees as increased paychecks that allow the employees to buy whatever insurance plan they want.
That's what most small companies already do.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Catholic church won't be shutting anything down.
Worst case scenario would be selling out to a corporate entity like HCA.

The most likely scenario is the church will stop providing paid health insurance benefits for their employees and will instead pay that same amount to the employees as increased paychecks that allow the employees to buy whatever insurance plan they want.
That's what most small companies already do.

Don't bet on it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't bet on it.

I would bet on it. They aren't shutting anything down.

Those hospitals are not owned by the Catholic church. They are owned by dioceses, religious orders or corporations (like Mercy in OKC).

From inside the Catholic Church, there are very few making a lot of noise, but it seems the loudest ones are always the ones that are heard and everyone assumes its lock stop with the rest of them. Thats complete crap. In fact, most of the noise is coming from Chicago. Thats 1 dioceses of about 195 in the US.

For the absolute purpose of providing care for the poor and sick, the Catholic church would not start shutting down hospitals, and for them to do so would be equalled to darker times in the Catholic church.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I am hearing from the Catholics I know and several Catholic hospitals I have done business with, they are very seriously thinking about it if the legal challenges do not work. The illegal regulation being put forward by Obamacare has seriously ticked them off. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 pretty much insures it will be thrown out before that happens, but I think they will start shutting them down in Democrat controlled districts if it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom