Anyone ever use amsoil in their ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bough5t a nissan titan and it has had it ran threw it it's whole life about 70000 miles . I was thinking of changing it because it is hard to find were i live would like your thoughts

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never have, but I know a lot of municipalities run it. Yeah, it's more expensive upfront, but it does last much longer so you actually save money if you're paying someone to do your oil changes. IIRC, it comes with a warranty for failed parts where the failure can be attributed to the lubricant as long as it was used as directed.

I just have never gotten comfortable with the thought of an oil change past 5,000 miles. I grew up on the 3,000 mile rule. My truck calls for 7,500 with 5W-20 blend, and I think my wife's Mini calls for 10k with 10w-30 full synthetic ($$$). Regardless, they both get changed somewhere between 3k and 5k.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amsoil makes a reasonable product (there are others out there that I think are better - but you won't find them on the shelf at the parts store, either), and it will last quite a while.
If you intend to run your oil past the mfr's recommended change interval, you are playing with fire if you don't have it analyzed by a lab periodically. With the analysis, you'll be amazed how long the oil can last. I'm using a synthetic in my F-350 diesel, and the lab finally condemned the oil at 45,000 miles.
That means that over the course of 45,000 miles, I saved myself $443.64 on oil changes (Ford's recommended interval is 5000 miles in a dusty environment), in spite of the $135.96 upfront cost of the 4 gallons of oil this diesel takes.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good stuff, but I'd just put in Moble 1 myself from Walmart. Used these synthetics since my 1987 GT was purchased new. Changing oils won't cause an issue.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's great feedback... wow.. 45k miles ... great suggestion about using a lab.
which lab do you use?

finally did an oil change on my 96 12v cummins.... ran it for 27k miles before changing.
oil was pretty loaded with soot ... switched to conventional 15/40 diesel oil and mileage promptly went down 3 mpg.

reason for switch to conventional oil is to flush system for 3k miles or so before switching back to synthetic again.

Amsoil makes a reasonable product (there are others out there that I think are better - but you won't find them on the shelf at the parts store, either), and it will last quite a while.
If you intend to run your oil past the mfr's recommended change interval, you are playing with fire if you don't have it analyzed by a lab periodically. With the analysis, you'll be amazed how long the oil can last. I'm using a synthetic in my F-350 diesel, and the lab finally condemned the oil at 45,000 miles.
That means that over the course of 45,000 miles, I saved myself $443.64 on oil changes (Ford's recommended interval is 5000 miles in a dusty environment), in spite of the $135.96 upfront cost of the 4 gallons of oil this diesel takes.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have never gotten comfortable with the thought of an oil change past 5,000 miles. I grew up on the 3,000 mile rule.

On my last patrol boat we had oil viscosity testing equipment, one day my chief got curious about the "recommended oil change interval" and had us test the viscosity hourly while running (yes we could draw samples off of the engines while running). Chief said we weren't going to change the oil until we saw a 5% degradation in viscosity, at 2 1/2 times the recommended oil change interval as measured in operating hours he gave up and had us change the oil (we had about a 2% degradation in viscosity at that point). What I haven't told you yet is that heat is what breaks down oil (most of you already know that) and our engines were twin turbo diesels and at running speeds during the day the engine room was 145-150 degrees so this was pretty much a worst case scenario.

You didn't make a bad decision following the "3k rule", you did what was recommended, unfortunately it was recommended by companies in the business of selling motor oil. I run synthetic in my Dodge and usually go about 6k miles before I change, at 6k the viscosity is still good but it is blacker than my heart at that point.

YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom