Anyone ever use amsoil in their ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used Amsoil for a long time with excellent results. One day I found out that they changed the way they make their oil, they started making it like everybody else.
I read some comparisons and there was no difference between the new Amsoil and Mobil 1. That's when I switched to Mobil 1 and saved money buying it at WalMart.
On the last oil change I tried Castrol Edge because they made some claims that they were so much better than Mobil1 and Mobil never contested them.

Last edited:

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many synthetics out there more available than Amsoil but any synthetic oil is better than conventional oil. Also if you want a good filter at a good price try a Pureone from Purolator.

My opinion exactly, and even though I don't know the price comparison, Motorcraft oil filters are Pure One's also, and from my research the Pure One's are always one of the best filters out there, I am also thinking about going to amsoil, but until it becomes easier to procure I will probably stick to Syntec and Motorcraft/Purolator...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used Amsoil for a long time with excellent results. One day I found out that they changed the way they make their oil, they started making it like everybody else.
I read some comparisons and there was no difference between the new Amsoil and Mobil 1. That's when I switched to Mobil 1 and saved money buying it at WalMart.
On the last oil change I tried Castrol Edge because they made some claims that they were so much better than Mobil1 and Mobil never contested them.

Bear in mind that there are two Mobil 1s (group III and IV base stocks) and ditto for Amsoil. The Amsoil top tier oils are all Group IV base stocks (which are true synthetics) as are the "extended performance" Mobil oils. You can thank our .gov for all the confusion, but group III oils are still plain old petroleum regardless of the fact that they are called synthetic. To my knowledge Amsoil and Mobil (Extended Performance) are the only true synthetics made in the U.S. for use by the general public.

And yes, I've been an Amsoil user and dealer for over 10 years. It's in everything I own.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bear in mind that there are two Mobil 1s (group III and IV base stocks) and ditto for Amsoil. The Amsoil top tier oils are all Group IV base stocks (which are true synthetics) as are the "extended performance" Mobil oils. You can thank our .gov for all the confusion, but group III oils are still plain old petroleum regardless of the fact that they are called synthetic. To my knowledge Amsoil and Mobil (Extended Performance) are the only true synthetics made in the U.S. for use by the general public.

And yes, I've been an Amsoil user and dealer for over 10 years. It's in everything I own.

Last time I wanted to buy Amsoil, I went to their website and looked for ester based oil. Unless I missed it, I left with the impression they were all petroleum.
The way I remember it everybody was ester based till Castrol named their petroleum oils fully synthetic, there was a law suit, Castrol won and Mobil first and Amsoil later opted for the cheaper type.
Which Amsoil right now is the real thing?

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an 05 HD TC88 that I put Amsoil in all 3 spots, ran 20 degrees cooler in the middle of summer and shifted easier also.
I use their 2 stroke oil in the blower and chainsaws, very rarely takes more than 2 pulls to get them started and they idle smooth. When the newer bikes are due they're getting Amsoil.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I wanted to buy Amsoil, I went to their website and looked for ester based oil. Unless I missed it, I left with the impression they were all petroleum.
The way I remember it everybody was ester based till Castrol named their petroleum oils fully synthetic, there was a law suit, Castrol won and Mobil first and Amsoil later opted for the cheaper type.
Which Amsoil right now is the real thing?

You are correct on the Castrol lawsuit. After that ruling the oil manufacturers pretty much had to re-formulate to compete cost wise. Mobil should not have lost that suit.

All of Amsoil's gear lubes are synthetic, all of the motorcycle oils are, and all of the engine oils are true synthetics EXCEPT the OE and XL series.
For the doubters, I've ran Amsoil's 0W30 (product code SSO) for over 30,000 miles without a change. I was doing oil analysis on it though, using Amsoil's filters, and driving a lot of highway miles during that interval. In town would not have made it that far.
My Monte Carlo has 240,000 miles on it with no internal work done on it, and it's completely sludge free. The trans has never been touched for anything either other than the filter and fluid changes (a total of 3 times).

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an 05 HD TC88 that I put Amsoil in all 3 spots, ran 20 degrees cooler in the middle of summer and shifted easier also.
I use their 2 stroke oil in the blower and chainsaws, very rarely takes more than 2 pulls to get them started and they idle smooth. When the newer bikes are due they're getting Amsoil.

That's a huge temp change to be attributed to the type of oil.

Did you change viscosity?

BTW, I have an '06 TC88 and haven't seen a temp change amongst several oils.....

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think people who try Amsoil for a little bit and then go back to whatever are seeing the most benefit from using Amsoil products. Just my 2 cents.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a huge temp change to be attributed to the type of oil.

Did you change viscosity?

BTW, I have an '06 TC88 and haven't seen a temp change amongst several oils.....

It's been a couple years but I'm sure it was the 20-50 for the V's, the temp really surprised me and sold me on the Amsoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom