Do you have two cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave away a very nice Dodge Dart to my Uncle who was in need of a car. He was on disablility and could not afford much. He treated the car like gold and it lasted him 12 years which he then gave to his grandson as a first car.
I also acquired through some wheeling and dealing a 1967 Impala SS, which, when the deal was done, I had almost no money in it. A very good friend of mine saw it and told me that was his "dream car" when he was in high school, so I wound up giving it to him. He restored it and drove it for years.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have given away 2 cars and a truck. All to people that really had a greater need for them then me. They weren't anything fancy to look at but they were all in very good mechanical shape. That act of giving didn't just bless them but blessed me even more.

Those 3 people were all working as hard and as much as they humanly could. Sometimes people just need a little help. I am currently working on getting vehicle #4 ready to give away.

There's a difference between giving someone a "handout" as opposed to a "hand up".
My dad taught me long ago that in some situations if you had extra and someone had a need that you should help them. And even the couple of times his discretion in who to give to may have been lacking he still considered the act of giving to be a proper one.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you ever consider simply giving your second car to someone who doesn't have one and could not afford to buy one?

Why or why not?

I have given away 3 cars in the last 3 years. They were nothing special but fit for daily use. As for my newer cars..... I don't even turn the keys over for 5 minutes on them.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 5 or 6 cars. Would I give one away? Nope. If my family needed to use one of them for a little bit ok, but I would not sell to family anymore. Done it before and turned bad, never again. So I would not just give someone a car because all my cars are new and serve a purpose to us. Someone mentioned this, if you can't afford to get a car, you can't afford insurance on it. I can't afford some of the stuff I and my wife got but we both work and we pay for them. I rode my bicycle to college because I could not afford a car. Some days I rode a bus and I would get rides and pay for the gas on others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I gave a truck to a co-worker that had no transportation. I had to sink some money in it to make it road worthy. It made me feel good. :woohoo1:

A week later, I heard from another employee he was trying to sell it for retail. I asked him about it and he lied to me. That made me angry. :mad:

From then on, I offer trucks for free, but they all need work. No turnkeys.
I haven't had anyone take me up on a "needs work" beater. They decide they don't need it so bad after all.:scratch:

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too many people expecting a hand out for me to give away a car.
You should always try to help someone, but sometimes just giving someone a handout ISN'T help.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should always try to help someone, but sometimes just giving someone a handout ISN'T help.

That is how I see it too, the car I gave away was mainly for the (2) 3 years old kids that were having to walk in the cold because their mother had no car

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom