Dog question, need LEO advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone's gonna hate me but if i'm out in the front yard so is my dog.....difference is my dog knows not to go near the street or out of the yard. He usually just lays in the driveway and sun bathes. He's also a boxer so its a much friendly and unhated breed. The neighbors are always telling us how good he is and how much they love him. BUT the second any neighbor came up to me and said they were not comfortable with him being out in the yard then he would stay behind the fence or indoors.

Just go ask them to at least keep in their yard when they are outside with him. If that doesn't work then contact the sherriff.

How do you other neighbors feel about the dog? anyone else concerned?

I think that's the difference Kyle. Your dog stays in your yard and isn't agressive acting and you're a stand up guy who would listen and be a good neighbor if people had a problem (which there isn't any).

With the OPs situation, the dog there is running loose all over the neighborhood besides any of the other factors.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have spoke with the neighbor about it, as have several other neighbors. Her reply was "I dont know what everyones deal is, there are no leash laws out here". They have a fenced back yard, just dont care to use it all the time.
RCSD will not do anything unless someone gets bit.
I personally dont care if it is a pit or not, remember in my first post that I own 2 mastiffs. Most people are scared to death of my dogs as well. This dog wanders, not just in their front yard, has been in my yard and several neighbors yards, and growled at me the only time it got close to me which was in my yard. Has been the same way with the other neighbors I have spoken to about it.
My main concern is that there are about 10 neighborhood kids (under 12) who are routinely down playing in my yard and several neighbors yards.
Hey Glocktogo, one of your fellow Collinsville officers lives just 2 doors down, his young son is routinly outside playing as well. I have not had a chance to catch him outside to talk with him about it.
Trust me, I have already thought about if I see it being aggressive towards a kid it will receive a lead injection, obviously making sure to not put any child in more danger.
I was just hoping there was maybe some state law regarding this situation. I know it will be taken care of if someone gets bit, just trying to avoid that. Remember, it has already bit the lady who owns it.

Ya, I think after speaking to them and not getting anywhere, I'd probably give him a few days to let the conversation sink in (who knows, maybe he'll consider it after sleeping or something) and then I'd approach him again and let him know that you feel very uncomfortable and try to explain the details of the facts that the dog has already bitten someone and it's roaming the neighborhood AND it's shown agression towards others. Those facts could make it legally considered a "potentially dangerous dog" if you get animal control involved and he would then be restricted to keep it confined. After that, if he ignores you or bucks up about it, I'd get someone in animal control involved.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ignorance is bliss

then again if idiots could fly this place would be a major airport.

Definitely glad some of you jack holes aren't my neighbors.

Do you have an dog that growls at people and has already bitten you or your wife roam the neighborhood? If not, then I don't understand your comments.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people are just idiots. If someone asks you to keep your dog then you just do. Its not the dog's fault now, its the owners for allowing it to continue. Maybe next time it gets on your property, leash him up and walk him back home and into the back yard if he will let you. Talk to the neighbors and have them do the same. Maybe they will get hint.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people are just idiots. If someone asks you to keep your dog then you just do. Its not the dog's fault now, its the owners for allowing it to continue. Maybe next time it gets on your property, leash him up and walk him back home and into the back yard if he will let you. Talk to the neighbors and have them do the same. Maybe they will get hint.

That's a FINE idea! I like it.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between a man with a gun (not menacing anyone) and an uncontrolled large dog running loose, regardless of breed. Does it really matter if your neighbor or a deputy asks you to control your dog? The answer should be the same in both cases, "Yes sir, sorry about that. It won't happen again." :scratch:

You and I know the difference but to those with no experience with guns or pitbulls the fear in their heads are the same.

Hoorayebay

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's pretty messed up. I detest people that let their animals run loose and uncontrolled but If you've got a justifiable, actionable reason to kill an animal then man up and shoot it. I've seen a dog killed with antifreeze poisoning it is not a humane way to put an animal down.

A bowl of cookies is a safe alternative to bullets flying around a neighborhood. Id be PISSED if my neighbor was out in the front yard firing off rounds. Would you rather kill the damn dog or risk it and possibly bounce a bullet into a neighbors house? Your John Wayne antics will get PEOPLE hurt. Use that noggin!

Last edited:

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bowl of antifreeze is a safe alternative to bullets flying around a neighborhood. Id be PISSED if my neighbor was out in the front yard firing off rounds. Would you rather kill the damn dog or risk it and possibly bounce a bullet into a neighbors house? Your John Wayne antics will get PEOPLE hurt. Use that noggin!

I got to say, I just lost what little respect I had for you.

Use antifreeze? That is the coldest most chicken s**t way to deal with an animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom