Granddaughter Took State!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grandson came in 2nd in 4A today. Hoped for better but that’s the way this particular sport goes.

One of his teammates was the Arkansas state champion last year. Came to Oklahoma and didn’t even qualify.

Tuttle had one Individual State Champion this year, Beau Hickman, but ran up enough points to win the overall championship. I think this was year 16 straight.

Congrats to your grandson. Lot of tough kids in 4A. My son has had to wrestle Tyler Mesinheimer and Chance Fisher a few times. Beau Hickman is committed to OSU. Interested to see whats going to happen with Scott Coleman there.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that battle between the seven (who were not a given) for the 4th place spot proved illusive for my grandson. Close matches, one in overtime, separated him from advancing toward the podium. Got one more year to reach it. I think his weight only had one Sr so he’s likely to see them all again. It’s the nature of a great sport.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Grandson came in 2nd in 4A today. Hoped for better but that’s the way this particular sport goes.

One of his teammates was the Arkansas state champion last year. Came to Oklahoma and didn’t even qualify.

Tuttle had one Individual State Champion this year, Beau Hickman, but ran up enough points to win the overall championship. I think this was year 16 straight.

Very awesome pass on the congrats!

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4 from EN places in the consolation finals. The rest are wrestling for 1st/2nd. I think it’s the first time a team has had a placer at every weight.
bigfug, when my two sons wrestled it was at Westmoore. If your program was advancing 5 -7 wrestlers on to State that was considered a healthy program. In 2000 there was more parity. We contended well with Broken Arrow and Jenks. I think we lost to Broken Arrow in Duel State by one match. That was all under John Finn and Mark Peck. Good to see their quality of coaching so good 24 yrs later.

We know partners are everything in wrestling! Consider that Edmond North advanced an entire line-up! Imagine the partners!!

Our program (that I won’t name) advanced one wrestler. Placing under those circumstances is what I’d call ‘overcoming some odds’! Keeping momentum for any program requires some intentional dedication starting with the Athletic Director. I’d like to see ours used for a throwing dummy in a college room!

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Congratulations to your grandson!

Hickman was one of our losses this year. I whole bunch of wrestlers can make that claim😉

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being honest, if boys wrestled girls back in the 80s, I would have been a wrestler. A hormone filled teenage boy looking for a free grab here or there would have put it on my radar.
Yes, but back when I coached HS wrestling there was nothing more humiliating than for a young boy to get his ass whipped by a girl, not an ounce of manhood left in the boy that physically got beat by a girl… Glad to see separated sports.

Congrats to The Nevada state champion granddaughter.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that battle between the seven (who were not a given) for the 4th place spot proved illusive for my grandson. Close matches, one in overtime, separated him from advancing toward the podium. Got one more year to reach it. I think his weight only had one Sr so he’s likely to see them all again. It’s the nature of a great sport.

If you don’t mind me asking weight and class?
Mine was 150 in 4A.
I only ask because 4A is loaded this year.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking weight and class?
Mine was 150 in 4A.
I only ask because 4A is loaded this year.
150 6A. It was loaded too. You knew who 1st, 2nd & 3rd would be, and really the order. The other 7 were all just scrapping for 4th. We beat the 4th place kid by a point at Regionals but he got us with a takedown 10 seconds before we’d have gone to overtime.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
150 6A. It was loaded too.
We beat the 4th place kid by a point at Regionals but he got us with a takedown 10 seconds before we’d have gone to overtime.
Man do I know how that goes. G’son ended up seed #8 because of a late slip at the qualifier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom