Granddaughter Took State!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what little I know they absolutely do, especially if there isn’t a girl on the other team for them to wrestle.
Girls don't wrestle boys anymore.....they have their own wrestling in Oklahoma.
They have their own teams, duals, & tournaments.
Just finished Girls Regionals last week and Girls State is this week.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OSSAA's "one free move" should help women's wrestling greatly. I know of several at small schools who would wrestle in a heartbeat but, don't want to lose a year of eligibility in other sports as a result.
I don't understand, why would you lose a year of eligibility in other sports if you wrestle?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Girls don't wrestle boys anymore.....they have their own wrestling in Oklahoma.
They have their own teams, duals, & tournaments.
Just finished Girls Regionals last week and Girls State is this week.
Being honest, if boys wrestled girls back in the 80s, I would have been a wrestler. A hormone filled teenage boy looking for a free grab here or there would have put it on my radar.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand, why would you lose a year of eligibility in other sports if you wrestle?

Athletes now how have the ability to change districts one time without moving into the district. Prior to this rule change you could do so, but you sit out one calendar year from the date of your transfer.

There are a lot of districts that don't have wrestling, let alone women's wrestling. Girls that may be a dual or triple sport athlete can now switch to a school that does have wrestling without having to sit out basketball, track, softball, etc.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in a wrestling family. My son wrestled. All my grandsons wrestled. Best thing to happen to the sport was girls starting to wrestle.

Congrats to your granddaughter. I understand how big an accomplishment that is and the work involved.

btw my grandson qualified for state here last weekend. He’s an Adidas All-American and exceptional.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok gotta ask do the girls just wrestle girls or are males included in the matches............l haven't kept up on this sport

Both. Usually for tournaments, they'll wrestle girls. Duals can go either way. Norman North and Moore both have girls they have wrestle in the "boys" duals, because they are better than most boys at that weight. Those two are pretty competitive even against the boys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Received great news yesterday that our 17 year old granddaughter, Kayli took state (Nevada) in high school women’s wrestling. She’s had a number of colleges interested and offering scholarships…..just wish she’d get the attention of one here in Oklahoma. She’s a really good kid and I’m proud of her.

View attachment 455296
That's awesome! Congrats to here and the work she put in to get to that level.

Latest posts

Top Bottom