Granddaughter Took State!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand, why would you lose a year of eligibility in other sports if you wrestle?

He's saying the school that they attend doesn't have wrestling. They would transfer to one that does, but the transfer costs them a year of eligibility in all sports they play. Under the new rule, you can transfer one time, so moving to a school that does have a program wouldnt cost them a year of softball if they were already a softball player. Pretty much all 6A schools most of your 5A, and even a few 4A schools have girls programs, but your smaller schools dont have enough to fill a football team, let alone a girls wrestling team.

Birdseed

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Received great news yesterday that our 17 year old granddaughter, Kayli took state (Nevada) in high school women’s wrestling. She’s had a number of colleges interested and offering scholarships…..just wish she’d get the attention of one here in Oklahoma. She’s a really good kid and I’m proud of her.

View attachment 455296
Awesome!

Georgie 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Received great news yesterday that our 17 year old granddaughter, Kayli took state (Nevada) in high school women’s wrestling. She’s had a number of colleges interested and offering scholarships…..just wish she’d get the attention of one here in Oklahoma. She’s a really good kid and I’m proud of her.

View attachment 455296
👍

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck at State. My son was 2 points shy of making it in 6A West.

Thank You. I know what a heartbreak that is for your wreslter. I hope he has another year or even two.

Oklahoma wrestling has evolved a lot from the year 2000 when my own youngest graduated. All classes are tough but 6A is brutal. It’s like having three prep schools or three Tuttle programs in your class. Edmond North literally blanked Tuttle this year. And Tuttle literally blanked our school in duels. We have just our one qualifier.

21 of the 28 finalists last year came from three schools. We, like most, will have all three in our bracket at state.

Translation - two, possibly three, of the top spots on the podium are all but decided. Of the ten wrestlers in a 6A State bracket, seven of the other top wrestlers in Oklahoma will be scrapping for the lower spots on the podium. Of course they’ll all be wrestling to win, but the chances are slim.

Why, because partners are everything in wrestling.

Yet no stopping kids and parents gravitating to successful programs. All serious wrestlers are hoping for scholarships to wrestle in college. So there is that. But one program’s gain is another program’s loss.

I have the highest respect for homegrown programs for that reason. I even have respect for those programs attracting move-ins. They are attractive for a reason. It is what it is, and every sport has its politics. But you can’t help but feel for the program whose last year’s state placer or state champion is found in another line-up next season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom