School shootings. Ideas on how to reduce the damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned on another thread I'm a school board member at Valliant. We currently have all doors entry locked except the doors closest to the offices of each building. But we also have satellite buildings that can be entered without going through administration. Not sure what to do about them, but here's what I'm thinking for the three main buildings. Main entry door goes into a foyer. Visitor can talk to secretary through a window. Once ID is verified, secretary can buzz the next door open, allowing visitor to go about their business. Secretaries also have a panic button they can push which immediately notifies police.

I'm also checking into a board policy which allows administrators to be armed. Not sure it's legal in OK, but my sup't says it is. In addition to concealed handgun, I'd like for them to have a shotgun securely stored, but readily available in their offices. I also think the administrators will need more than just a CCL. Some additional training would be essential.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be a good start, Pulp, but I think we need to go further. Having a few guns in the hands of administrators might help, but I really think we need to get a lot more serious about both security and mental health issues in this country. Until we do, let's face it... this **** will keep happening. Guaranteed.

Was just covering this subject with my wife yesterday, saying how, "No one thinks it can happen here." We live in Bartlesville. Then someone posts a threadon here last nite about how a plot was foiled at Bartlesville public schools the same day as the Connecticut shootings. Jesus! My 7 y/o goes to a private school in Bartlesville, but it is nomore secure than the public schools to someone hell-bent on doing harm.

We HAVE to allow guns on our school campuses if we want to have any hope of stopping these kinds of events. In the hands of trained and dedicated people. As well as well-designed and implemented security, evacuation, lockdown and recovery plans.

I'm going to try to set up a meet with our school's administrators after Christmas break and see ifthere is anything we as parents can get involved with.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys and gals have missed the obvious.
Quit advertising this stuff 24/7 on the news.
These morons see this stuff being made such a big deal that they go out and copycat.

Back 35-40 years ago in jr/sr high in Tulsa we had armed security patroling the halls.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IEP programs need to come under some strict scrutiny. Basically kids can be labeled as disabled for being mentally disturbed and they essentially become untouchable by discipline. These kids can cuss up a storm and threaten their school mates or teachers and legally cannot have disciplinary action taken against them.

Most people are unaware of the program and how it works. It is not doing the kids in the program any favors for learning to adjust to the real world after HS. It just fuels the narcissistic, I can do whatever I want attitude that these kids have. It puts our kids in more danger by not quarantining their unacceptable behavior.

These problems with the shootings do have a lot to do with mishandling of mental illness in this country. We need to confront mental illness head on and not just try and cover it up or write it off. Granted, I'm no psychologist.

Bronchodawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an elementary teacher / high school coach and as my wife and I drove to Quail Springs Mall we passed by the FBI building. I noticed how secure that building was compared to school buildings plus all of their agents inside are armed.

Nilbog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
IEP programs need to come under some strict scrutiny. Basically kids can be labeled as disabled for being mentally disturbed and they essentially become untouchable by discipline. These kids can cuss up a storm and threaten their school mates or teachers and legally cannot have disciplinary action taken against them.

Most people are unaware of the program and how it works. It is not doing the kids in the program any favors for learning to adjust to the real world after HS. It just fuels the narcissistic, I can do whatever I want attitude that these kids have. It puts our kids in more danger by not quarantining their unacceptable behavior.

These problems with the shootings do have a lot to do with mishandling of mental illness in this country. We need to confront mental illness head on and not just try and cover it up or write it off. Granted, I'm no psychologist.

You are so correct, they won't even suspend them.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hardening of school doors and windows is not going to work. First, schools are already supposed to keep the side doors closed and locked - they do not. A door mat under the door keeps them open to let people people in and out without the extra hassle. Second, doors are irrelevant because the shooter would just wait for school bus loading time.

The best solution: let anyone with a concealed carry permit carry on school grounds and in the classroom.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hardening of school doors and windows is not going to work. First, schools are already supposed to keep the side doors closed and locked - they do not. A door mat under the door keeps them open to let people people in and out without the extra hassle. Second, doors are irrelevant because the shooter would just wait for school bus loading time.

The best solution: let anyone with a concealed carry permit carry on school grounds and in the classroom.

They will work...as part of a comprehensive plan. No one idea provides a total solution....not even letting people with CCWs carry on school property.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They will work...as part of a comprehensive plan. No one idea provides a total solution....not even letting people with CCWs carry on school property.

They already have plans and do not follow them - hence the side doors held open with the door mats. I'm leery of over-reliance on school security plans. They are needed but will in no way, shape or form substitute for a scattering of armed teachers and administrators, or volunteers as in Israel.

If we don't get on the ball and allow school concealed carry, get ready for even worse events. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think that IEP's are the issue to solving school shootings. It's all in how they are implemented. My special needs daughter who is in elementary school in Owasso is on an IEP. It's the best thing in the world for her. I can see how some abuse the system, but I don't see how that really adds to the risk of school shootings. It all goes back to parenting in my mind, or the lack there of. my kids back packs get checked daily and we stay in constant contact with there teachers via e-mail, phone calls, and parent teacher meetings. You can't let your kids raise themselves these days. There is way to much messed up stuff out there and the internet makes seeing it and participating in it way to easy. It's instant access to the most vile things in our society. Parents for the most part have checked out and the kids are using their friends, TV, and the internet to find answers to what life is all about. That's the recipe for a morally bankrupt generation. It's where we are now and not getting better.

That's how I see it anyway. Feel free to disagree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom