Who owns cats?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids have two of them...

The cats have however claimed ME for some reason... I guess it's just my natural appeal.

Anyway, we haven't ever really had mice so it's hard to tell. These cats stay indoors all the time and mainly just lay around until it's time to eat their storebought food and then race around the house at 3am like Kyle Busch going for the checkered flag.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any issues if I try and keep it inside the house? If I let it out, will it come back in?

Keep it as an indoor cat for a while, maybe a couple months, before letting it out. Your cat will come back for free food. :p

But expect the cat to miss meals every so often, and do not declaw your cat if you let it out. Also remember that cats can get into fights with other cats or coyotes or something, so it may never come back :(

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love cats but my wife is hell'a allergic to cat dander- which is what most people are actually allergic to, not just the cat. Im kind of a sadist though, I like to kill em myself (I go to Atwoods and grab a bunch of cheap traps and a jar of peanut butter and Ill kill em several a day til theyre all gone for awhile) and if I hear the trap snap in time I hurry and get to it, watch it as it dies, then take it and feed em to one of my 3 snakes. If Im late though and theyve already stiffened up I just chunk em. The ones I miss my Boston gets and eats- he's a pro,much better at it than a cat.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a mouse recently get it's hind quarter caught in a trap in my shop. It dragged itself, along with the trap, behind my little dorm refridgerator and then it bit thru the electric cord. That killed the 'fridge. I guess the electricity killed the little bugger too.

Had a siamese cat years ago. He killed a squirrel and brought it to me once. Didn't have any mice while he was around.

The stupid "better mouse traps" I bought for the shop though - things really tick me off. The mice are able to, about 75% of the time, get the bait without tripping the trap. Dag nabbit!

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep. As the pet of countless cats over the years I can confidently say that you will belong to your cat(s) not the other way around.

And cats work better (and are safer) than poison IMHO ...

^^^This,I have one.....a big one ,17#...his name is Catzilla.He chose us and in 14 years,no mice.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kept finding empty mouse traps many feet away from where I had set them. Eventually found out there's a stray calico cat that's cleaning out the traps for me. The cat gets an easy meal and I don't have to deal with the dead mice. Win-Win!

We've had a lot of cats over the last 22 years, some are mousers and some aren't. A former stray cat from a shelter will almost certainly have the knack for catching mice.

Another thing, it's expensive but Frontline Plus will keep your cat flea and tick free, that's very important if they come into the house.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our cats kill mice, snakes, squirls, rabbits and terrorize the neighborhood dogs.

Cats do not have to be an indoor animal, when we were on the farm we were not allowed to bring them in ever!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a siamese cat years ago. He killed a squirrel and brought it to me once. Didn't have any mice while he was around.
I had a big ol Maine Coon cat at my place up in the mountains in northern California who used to bring me whatever he killed when he was outside and then just leave it on the porch. He wouldnt eat em, just leave em for me. One time though he left half of a long dead rabbit under the couch. We checked our shoes, accused each other of farting until we found the dead rabbit. They say when they do that theyre thanking you for taking care of them. Nasty basturd. He was a good mouser but only when he could get to them, he was too big and fat to get behind most stuff. I called him Fubar.

I had another cat up there that had some Manx or Lynx or something like that mixed in, was born without a tail. It was a good mouser too but it was a combo- an inside and outside cat. Usually when it went out it would stay gone for days, then finally show up, even in the winters and snow, eat, get warm, snuggle with us a bit, then a few days or maybe weeks later when we let it out, it would take off again. I had a bell on the outside door knob that the cats and dogs would swipe at and ring when they wanted in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom