Who owns cats?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, so how about cats & dogs? We have a weenie dog. Unless, the cat attacks the dog, I don't see this as being a problem. But I also have a 8 month old Doberman puppy; an expensive ~80lb puppy. This relationship may worry me a little.

And how in the heck does a cat catch a bird? Really? Birds fly. It's hard enough for me to think of a cat catching a mouse. Those little bastards are FAST when I see them run across a baseboard into a closet. I couldn't even throw the remote at one let alone expect one of my pets to fly off the couch and catch it in a dead run. And I can't even get within 15 feet of a bird, and BTW.... they FLY!!!! If a little house cat can catch a bird... that can FLY... the bird deserves to die.

Simple,he stalks the bird when it's on the ground.I've seen videos of cats snatching them out of the air as they take off also.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have three cats. They were all given to us as is, one at a time.

The first is a Siamese named Carl. He is just weird, but he does make bird calls really well. He only has his back blades. He plays with mice, but seldom kills them. Last winter he put one in the bathtub, unharmed. When the 17 year old, giant, no neck, football teenager got in the shower. There was a shriek. Then I got the mouse. Very funny.

The fattest, laziest, and all in all incompetent one is all white. His name is Oscar, and he has no knives at all. He is clumsy, slow, and often a weenie, but he does play fetch with a ball, and rolls it back to you. His only real attribute. I have never seen him with a mouse. I think they scare him.

The youngest, and littlest is all black, and fully equipped, less the nuts. He is named Emmitt. He is a true mouser, and a bad ass ninja. He likes to watch me use the restroom, which is a little weird. He seems fascinated. He's probably just trying to find my weaknesses so he can eventually kill me. He's sitting in the hall right now, in front of the bathroom. No one is in there. Little freak.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. One does not own a cat. One feeds and cleans up after cats, much like a maid. Or a slave. The cats, in return, will occasionally place before you a gift, such as a dead bird or mouse. They know you won't like it, but that's how they keep you under control.
Now that is funny.... AND VERY, VERY true.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The youngest, and littlest is all black, and fully equipped, less the nuts. He is named Emmitt. He is a true mouser, and a bad ass ninja. He likes to watch me use the restroom, which is a little weird. He seems fascinated. He's probably just trying to find my weaknesses so he can eventually kill me. He's sitting in the hall right now, in front of the bathroom. No one is in there. Little freak.

My kitty rubs against my legs when I'm using the bathroom. If I close the door, she sticks her paws under the door to try get in. I don't understand it.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cat has us. When she wants food , she comes around. She does occasionally leave birds, mice, or gophers. She is laying on a gopher mound right now waiting for some action. She doesn't like to get petted very much. She has us.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, so how about cats & dogs? We have a weenie dog. Unless, the cat attacks the dog, I don't see this as being a problem. But I also have a 8 month old Doberman puppy; an expensive ~80lb puppy. This relationship may worry me a little.

And how in the heck does a cat catch a bird? Really? Birds fly. It's hard enough for me to think of a cat catching a mouse. Those little bastards are FAST when I see them run across a baseboard into a closet. I couldn't even throw the remote at one let alone expect one of my pets to fly off the couch and catch it in a dead run. And I can't even get within 15 feet of a bird, and BTW.... they FLY!!!! If a little house cat can catch a bird... that can FLY... the bird deserves to die.

Cats are like snipers, they will find something to kill either be seeing it, hearing it, or smelling it and then find a spot and wait for it, they are also darn good at sneaking up on things. Our best small monster (code name for cat) will wait for hours if he thinks there's something to catch and play with.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I had a calico female years agot that would catch birds. I watched her one day catch a robin by getting a small(one to 2 inch) tree between her and run like crazy at the tree and dart around it to catch the bird out of the air as it tried to flee. Her son was a tiger stripe and saw him playing witha rat 50 yards away and she took off to get it and he killed it before she could get it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always had cats AND dogs (and God knows what other critters) all mixed together.

When I bought this house my youngest son wanted to adopt a full grown 130 pound Alaskan Malamute named Max. My middle son found a little bitty 6 week old runt of a kitten named Howard. Howard used to stalk Max and when Max would stick his face down to stiff her she would attach herself and he would shake his head until she fell off. Then he would bat at her with a paw (that was bigger than she was!) and she would go skidding across the kitchen floor, hit the wall on the other side of the room, jump up and run back for more.

After they finally got tired of that game they would lay down in the floor together, her between his front paws, him licking her until she was COVERED with dog spit. She would then climb up on the back of his neck, lay down on his head between his ears and lick him until they both fell asleep. They were HYSTERICAL to watch!

We also had a guinea pig at the time (appropriately named Pig) who was not afraid of anything. He would grunt and squeal and charge at both the dog and the cat if he wanted to go somewhere and they were in his way ... they were both terrified of him ... lol

The only pet we had from that particular time period that did not survive "The Great Mingling" as the kids called it was the parakeet. He used to dive bomb Max ... Max HATED bird. I kept telling the kids one of these days he was gonna get Mr. Kennedy. Sure enough ... we were standing in the dining room one afternoon and Mr. Kennedy flew down off the curtain rod straight for Max's head. Max turned ever so slightly and CHOMP ... you didn't see anything except two wings and a tail sticking out of his mouth. I retrieved the bird but he was mortally wounded. So ... without pomp or circumstance I dispatched him. Everytime Max would see a bird in the yard he would chase it off! LOL He would come unglued when the blue jays would dive bomb him! :rotflmao:

Pig and Howard both lived to a ripe old age here with us. Max got out one day (he LOVED to run around the lake) and didn't come back. I suspect somebody picked him up and took him home. If you had a pick up truck he would go ANYWHERE with you!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom