1911 Commander: Clapp Colt vs Wesson A2 vs ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had beater 1911s, and I've had safe queens. Now that I have none, I want a nice quality shooter that looks good but won't make me cringe at the first sign of holster wear.

The only requirements are pre-80 series, 45ACP, and blued steel, and I'm open to a CCO. $1200 is the limit I've imposed on myself.

Right now I'm leaning towards the DW A2 commmander, but the WC Colt can be had for roughly the same money.

Any other options I've missed? Not interested in Ruger, SA or Kimber. I've had each in the past and want something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my eye on the Valkyrie as well. It's more gun for the money, but I love the A2 blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't seen that A2, it's a good looking gun for sure. You should be able to get that for under $1200 it looks like.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DW fan here, I have an ECO I love. Don't forget to look at blems, more often than not, you wont find it. You will however find a lot of extra $ to feed it though

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a S&W E series Scandium bobtail I love that is a bit over your range (and is two tone), but there are other E series models that would be at or a bit below your price point.

BUT, everything I've heard about DW says if the price is even somewhat close, get the DW.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a DW A2 Commander in the cart a few times, but haven't bought one yet. The other day on Gunbroker I saw a 70s vintage blued Colt Combat Commander, and really liked it. The new A2 will set me back about $1200 OTD, while I might be able to get the used Colt (or one like it) for less than $1000. What to do?

Latest posts

Top Bottom