Got a promotion and lost friends at the same time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on your promotion! The fact that these decisions are this difficult for you and that you would put the needs of the students above your friendships tells me you're the right person for the job. Just trust your gut, and in God, man. It'll be the best for you, the kids and even your friends in the long run. Maybe your friends will see that eventually.
Thank you my friend. I know you're right on that. I will always do what's best for my kids and my school and that's what I'm going to focus on. The rest will always just be a distraction (albeit a fun and good one sometimes)..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the most truth I've read in a post on a while. I know that's how it's going to be for sure.

Well congrats all the same, it could be just a stepping stone to get you to your destination. Some I am sure are jealous and some just want to use their relationship to benefit them. Just do the job you have been hired to do....... if they were "friends" you will find out soon if not it will save to time figuring it out now. It's tough moving from a peer to manager at the same facility.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well congrats all the same, it could be just a stepping stone to get you to your destination. Some I am sure are jealous and some just want to use their relationship to benefit them. Just do the job you have been hired to do....... if they were "friends" you will find out soon if not it will save to time figuring it out now. It's tough moving from a peer to manager at the same facility.
Man you got that right. Thank you for the wisdom and encouragement..

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's great what you're doing.

you should do your job, and keep your personal life separate from that. As long as the decisions you're making are fair and based in the necessity of the organization/business, you have nothing to feel bad for.

It's just business. You're going to have to make hard decisions like that in any management role you undertake.

I have no doubt there is also a lot of reward in such a position, because now you have the opportunity to make a difference and see it effected on a larger scale than before.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations Jeff. Having had a few conversations with you, I am not surprised at your promotion, nor at your concern for the feelings for co-workers/friends. You have the knowledge of what is required to have a successful program, and you just need to apply all of what you know and feel. A favorite saying of my father was "Make the best decision you can make, and then work to make it the best decision" You've got this brother!

Moore Public School system is very fortunate to have you, and these kids are even more blessed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More congrats Jeff, for being recognized as teacher of the year. Quite an impressive title.
Speaking from experience, gaining a supervisor's job among your peers is a difficult position to be in.
Your buddies will hate you, your enemy's will curry your favor. I know you say how is that, but it's the progression of that promotion.
Your buddies won't get what they want from a buddy, and your enemy's see a way to get on your good side because you now have to be a supervisor and not a buddy and have new rules to follow.
I've had three different jobs in my life where I got promoted from the ranks to be a supervisor, and speak from the experience.
It's not an enviable position to be in at the short term. Over time, it abates somewhat.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's great what you're doing.

you should do your job, and keep your personal life separate from that. As long as the decisions you're making are fair and based in the necessity of the organization/business, you have nothing to feel bad for.

It's just business. You're going to have to make hard decisions like that in any management role you undertake.

I have no doubt there is also a lot of reward in such a position, because now you have the opportunity to make a difference and see it effected on a larger scale than before.
Yes sir. That's what I believe too. I just keep believing that in the long run and at the end of everyday I did what was right and to help others and not just to make people happy that includes me. Lol

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations Jeff. Having had a few conversations with you, I am not surprised at your promotion, nor at your concern for the feelings for co-workers/friends. You have the knowledge of what is required to have a successful program, and you just need to apply all of what you know and feel. A favorite saying of my father was "Make the best decision you can make, and then work to make it the best decision" You've got this brother!

Moore Public School system is very fortunate to have you, and these kids are even more blessed.
Thank you sir. I appreciate that coming from a friend. I love you're dad's saying too. I may have to adopt that myself....

Latest posts

Top Bottom