Got a promotion and lost friends at the same time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff, people like that were never your friends to start with. I learned that lesson, too, just recently, the hard way. After I gave it a little thought I realized they never cared about me to start with -- just using me to build up their own egos, stir up trouble and just generally be two-faced.

Don't sweat it. Because they don't really matter. Like in that harassment thread, be friendly but distant.

Congratulations!! You've earned this and you can make a difference in the lives of those kids you care so much about. I have no doubt things will smooth out soon.
Thank you so much for the kind words and wisdom and insight Annie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always remember that crap rolls downhill, not up. People that give you a hard time should remember that.
As a supervisor, your job is not to make YOUR JOB harder. As an employee, their job is to do their job and not make your job harder.
If that's a stretch for them, they need to stretch their legs on the way out the door.
You don't have to brandish a sword when it's enough for them to know you will use it. That sounds harsh but it's not.
Being consistent is the key. Everyone knows the rules. If they don't, they need to know the rules. If they can't follow the rules, someone will be sitting in their chair that can.
That's excellent advice and very true. They will just have to come to see my consistent choices as department head just as much as my consistency when I was also a peer teacher.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@cooljeff - So now that you have many very good responses, here is what I would do. Print out the pages and cut out the responses, tape/glue them in a notebook you keep somewhere special at work and read a few when frustration strikes. It works, it really does. See the folks here have nothing to gain or lose from our dealings with each other, so you received many honest and caring responses that are indifferent from professional motives. Again, good luck!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@cooljeff - So now that you have many very good responses, here is what I would do. Print out the pages and cut out the responses, tape/glue them in a notebook you keep somewhere special at work and read a few when frustration strikes. It works, it really does. See the folks here have nothing to gain or lose from our dealings with each other, so you received many honest and caring responses that are indifferent from professional motives. Again, good luck!
I do appreciate that David. I also agree that it would be very beneficial to have these suggestions from outsiders who believe in the process and the good we do. Thank you David and thank you to all who have given thoughts, wisdom and suggestions on this topic. I truly appreciate the insight and how to view the whole process moving forward. Thank you all...

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff, I am really happy to hear the good news of the promotion, and having been here on OSA with you as well as doing a few deals over the years, I know you ate the right man for his job...as others have already said. Also, there's not much to add, others have beat me to it as well, but dang man, you should be proud. It takes a special kind of person to teach special ed. It takes an even more special kind of person to supervise in that area. Keep on setting the standards man.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff, I am really happy to hear the good news of the promotion, and having been here on OSA with you as well as doing a few deals over the years, I know you ate the right man for his job...as others have already said. Also, there's not much to add, others have beat me to it as well, but dang man, you should be proud. It takes a special kind of person to teach special ed. It takes an even more special kind of person to supervise in that area. Keep on setting the standards man.
Thank you brother. That means a lot coming from you my friend. I respect you a lot.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's excellent advice and very true. They will just have to come to see my consistent choices as department head just as much as my consistency when I was also a peer teacher.

I've told many of them when they tell me they "Don't want to do something"..."It's OK. I understand but the job has to be done and you can do it or your replacement can. Doesn't matter to me either way." That's usually my final straw statement when reason and motivation are unsuccessful.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the promotion! Moving up and past peers is always hard, it's worse when your peers expect favors so soon, they could have at least let you bask in the glory before calling in favors. Hang in there, you obviously have the skills to be successful, now you get the chance to help others succeed and being a witness to their shenanigans may help you in more ways than you know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom