Got a promotion and lost friends at the same time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More congrats Jeff, for being recognized as teacher of the year. Quite an impressive title.
Speaking from experience, gaining a supervisor's job among your peers is a difficult position to be in.
Your buddies will hate you, your enemy's will curry your favor. I know you say how is that, but it's the progression of that promotion.
Your buddies won't get what they want from a buddy, and your enemy's see a way to get on your good side because you now have to be a supervisor and not a buddy and have new rules to follow.
I've had three different jobs in my life where I got promoted from the ranks to be a supervisor, and speak from the experience.
It's not an enviable position to be in at the short term. Over time, it abates somewhat.
That is good to know Dennis. Thank your for the kind words also sir. Thank you for your wisdom. That's what I need the most right now I think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are doing the right thing. Screw what everyone else thinks because if they were really your friends they would understand and support you.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep doing the right thing, not the easy thing. It'll be worth it in the end. If they don't understand you not playing favorites then they were terrible friends to start with.

That's exactly what others have told me. I agree with you too. I guess now I will find out soon enough. Lol.

Col. John Boyd--of OODA loop fame, among other things--famously gave the following advice to his junior officers:
Col. John Boyd said:
“And you’re going to have to make a decision about which direction you want to go.” He raised his hand and pointed. “If you go that way you can be somebody. You will have to make compromises and you will have to turn your back on your friends. But you will be a member of the club and you will get promoted and you will get good assignments.” Then Boyd raised his other hand and pointed another direction. “Or you can go that way and you can do something — something for your country and for your Air Force and for yourself. If you decide you want to do something, you may not get promoted and you may not get the good assignments and you certainly will not be a favorite of your superiors. But you won’t have to compromise yourself. You will be true to your friends and to yourself. And your work might make a difference. To be somebody or to do something. In life there is often a roll call. That’s when you will have to make a decision. To be or to do? Which way will you go?”

I always liked that one. The choice between currying favor and doing what you know to be right.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Col. John Boyd--of OODA loop fame, among other things--famously gave the following advice to his junior officers:

I always liked that one. The choice between currying favor and doing what you know to be right.
I agree. It will always be doing what is best for the kids and what is right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats! That's always a bizarro situation when the structure of peers changes as one of the peers becomes a supervisor over the others. You wouldn't be in the position you're in if it wasn't for a purpose, and we don't always understand at first.............seems to always make sense we looked back upon though. Hang in there, follow policy and the same wisdom, reasoning, and passion for the students that got you to this point. :) Lots of students depending on you now, and it sounds like the right man is at the helm.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on what I believe to be a well deserved promotion. I don't know you personally but through the years of reading your posts and the things you have done for children under your charge, I believe you to be a good man. From what I've seen you have the skills and compassion required to do the best job possible for these kids and that's Job 1 as you have already stated. I've been in your position many time and it is never "smooth". All you can do is the best you can with what you have to work with. Attempt to help those under your supervision to understand and contribute to the solution. That will work with some and not with others but at the end of the day the decision and responsibility are on you as the leader.

A good and just man does the right thing even when no one is watching and is honest even when it hurts.

Prayers for strength and guidance sent.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always said, when in a position of some authority, having friends who are not your peers is really not possible, people can be friendly with you (that's gravy) but you really cannot be "friends", most folks will always attempt to manipulate "friendship" to their advantage, and some times you might have to terminate "friends"...comes with the job and part of the job description

Latest posts

Top Bottom