Gov. Stitt declares Oklahoma special election for recreational marijuana vote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Raise taxes on tobacco and put the $$$$ in health care.

Legalize weed, tax it and pay off student loans.

Screw that. If you're gonna steal money to pay off someone else's debt, how about paying off my bills?

Student debt my azz. My wife went back to school 2014-2017. It was astounding how frivolous her classmates were. They accrued 300K in debt, some of them. Used student loans to buy cars, go on vacations, absolutely nuts.

Cut the taxes from tobacco and let folks pay for their own healthcare and insurance.

maveric

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve already got too many dangerous drivers on the roads and we now we’ll have to put up with more dopers too. What has happened to our great country?

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And everyone that drinks is a wino.

Some have the mental capacity to control themselves and their drinking.

Others do not.

There is no one size fits all.
I dont think he was disagreeing with that part. It has more to do with substance dependency being labeled as an illness where the afflicted were just innocently minding their own business and got held down while substances were forced down their throat until they became addicted concept that has become so prevalent. That's VERY rarely the case, it typically begins with making poor choices on who a person associates with and those people's poor habits and decisions bleeding over onto everyone around them. The person isnt an innocent bystander if they chose to take the first drink, hit, pill, whatever.

I know my family has a tendency toward substance abuse, even the productive ones. That is why I was always very mindful of whether I was taking something because I wanted to or needed to. As soon as I felt like it became a "needed to" situation, I took a break. It is part of being a grown up and part of what we are supposed to be teaching our kids. Instead, people like to avoid self awareness and self criticism and their ego will end up getting them in trouble. No one else around them is to blame for their addiction unless they were held down against their will to use for the first time.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lean more libertarian-ish and I’m young (I see some here despise the libertarian mindset lol). I say good on Stitt. I highly doubt he personally uses or agrees with weed, but he’s representing the Oklahomans who are voicing themselves. I respect that.

I’ve met plenty of worthless stoners and plenty of successful ones too. I’ve also seen the hard laws against it cause problems. One of my friends was busted at age 18 with a small amount of weed and got a record because of it. It caused him and his family many unnecessary issues. He still went on to graduate with a degree in electrical engineering and now in his 30s is married 2 kids nice house etc. He’s very successful and always working his butt off. He still smokes weed responsibly and never stopped lol. Doesn’t drink much though.

This new relaxing of marijuana laws is for people like him! NOT the POS addicts who don’t take care of their kids or drive under the influence.

People are individuals. Laws don’t work one size fits all. I’m pro freedom all day… legalize recreational in Oklahoma IMO

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prohibition doesn't work. Make it legal and make very stringent, harsh laws for abuse. Freedom to choose doesn't mean there aren't consequences for abuse, especially when irresponsible behavior has dire effects on others.

Soft judges have abusers in court facing 3rd, 4th, 5th DUI.

Actions and abuse should suffer consequences.

Same as stupidly accumulating $300k in students loans. Suffer paying them. Not my problem. Not my responsibility.

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for one do not want it to pass. I know firsthand how ugly addiction is, and someone who "doesn't want to stop" because they like how they feel on it is nothing short of that. I've had multiple family members nearly lose their careers over it, including one recently. If they want weed, get a medical card, it doesn't need to be available recreationally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom