Is anyone on here muslim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still wanna know how Wesley is responsible for people thinking the church is only 200 years old.

Wesley was a salesman and felt the need to package up and sell Jesus to the people. He did so at the cost of changing the message he was trying to get out to the people. A lot of what he misunderstood about the protestant church was that the protestant understanding of Roman catholicism was not that it was entirely evil, but that it needed changing. He went to the extreme with opposing everything Roman catholics stood for and got off-base on several issues that nearly all Evangelicals still hold true today.

It's why modern-day Evangelicals believe in so many things that are nearly 100% contrary to what the Christian Church (the Catholic Church - that's big-C, not small-c Roman catholic church) taught for more than 1000 years prior to America's founding as a country.

Things like:

- Rapture (this has been disproven by numerous theologians throughout time, yet somehow they can't compete with Kirk Cameron for some strange reason)
- Believer's Baptism / Age of accountability (or the fact that you play any part at all in your salvation by "accepting" God's gift when we somehow can't go a single hour without sinning apart from God's grace)
- Prosperity Theology (Peter was be-headed, Paul died in prison, Stephen was stoned to death, John died exiled on an island, etc... God doesn't care about your new car at all)

I could go on, but I get the feeling that the "Catholics are the devil" crowd is going to get upset (I have an equal amount of gripes with the Catholic church - the Council of Trent was an abomination and the complete mis-understanding of Peter as the pope due to translational manipulation is revolting).

Man... it's good to hate what everybody stands for. On to bashing Republicans and Democrats...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're most welcome. I am both a strong Christian and a scientist, and regardless of what anyone says, science can be proven and rewritten when newer techniques and data is found whereas religion simply can't be. Religion is wholly subjective. Religious history can be verified (or at least it is possible because it's physical fact), but the validity of the tenants and how the different factions / sects interpret how implement the leader's / founder's original teachings are completely up to each faction / sect, even while following the same source material.

Religion is very much like and related to politics, and we all know that there aren't any absolutes there in politics either. :soapbox:

Thank you for your polite and curteous response Mr. Soonertactical. What I trying to get is, being a Christian, non-denominational, I am not a Catholic because their ways differ from ours, from the Holy Bible that I read. People will lump my christianity in with the Crusades which were lead by the Pope. I'm not going to read the Catholic bible, so at what point in history did the Caholics start teaching what they are today, because what they teach today, is not what I'm reading in my bible. What teaching, what scripture gives the Pope complete authority over the church (Catholic church).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- Rapture (this has been disproven by numerous theologians throughout time, yet somehow they can't compete with Kirk Cameron for some strange reason)
- Believer's Baptism / Age of accountability (or the fact that you play any part at all in your salvation by "accepting" God's gift when we somehow can't go a single hour without sinning apart from God's grace)
- Prosperity Theology (Peter was be-headed, Paul died in prison, Stephen was stoned to death, John died exiled on an island, etc... God doesn't care about your new car at all)

RE: attributing these to Wesley you're completely wrong on #1 & #3 and half-wrong on #2.

Edit: nah, you're pretty much 100% wrong on #2 as well.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aside from your errors about what Catholicism teaches, the Catholic Church is the only Christian church that can trace its lineage directly back to Christ (St. Peter is the first Pope). Better to keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you are talking about.

Tell me, where were the Baptists and Methodists during the Crusades? Oh yea, they didn't exist yet. Protestantism didn't exist before the Reformation, so you're saying that the real Christian faith wasn't founded until 1500 years after Christ?

That's a catholic talking point that the rest of us Christians don't accept.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wesley was a salesman and felt the need to package up and sell Jesus to the people. He did so at the cost of changing the message he was trying to get out to the people. A lot of what he misunderstood about the protestant church was that the protestant understanding of Roman catholicism was not that it was entirely evil, but that it needed changing. He went to the extreme with opposing everything Roman catholics stood for and got off-base on several issues that nearly all Evangelicals still hold true today.

It's why modern-day Evangelicals believe in so many things that are nearly 100% contrary to what the Christian Church (the Catholic Church - that's big-C, not small-c Roman catholic church) taught for more than 1000 years prior to America's founding as a country.

Things like:

I could go on, but I get the feeling that the "Catholics are the devil" crowd is going to get upset (I have an equal amount of gripes with the Catholic church - the Council of Trent was an abomination and the complete mis-understanding of Peter as the pope due to translational manipulation is revolting).

Man... it's good to hate what everybody stands for.
On to bashing Republicans and Democrats...

I still don't see any countries' laws.

Oh, and propaganda works both ways:
Judiasm's examples of Pedophilia:
http://www.cwporter.com/kikerape.htm

Christianity's stance on it:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/pedophilia.html

Anything can be taken out of context and twisted when in the hands of someone who wants to do so. Without that fact, we'd have neither Fox News nor MSNBC.

Hence my argument that it isn't the religion per se that's the problem. It's the way everyone views religion, particularly someone else's religion that's the problem. Man has a unique way of effing just about anything up in the name of righteousness. :(

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That site is hilarious. Several of its source/citation links tell an entirely different story than the website says (and even those sources have little in the way of facts). All I'm saying is that the religion of Islam is no more evil than the religion of Christianity or Judaism - specific people ruin it for everyone and then those who don't understand it blame the entire group (it's why we know that gun-owners aren't criminals, yet the rest of the world continues to believe specific media outlets).

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If one of my students turned in a paper with a wiki source, he/she would start with a 50% and go down from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom