A real Political thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sooooo....are republicans the only people able to see the the major news sources are slanted to the left? The other half of the country doesn't have the ability to look at the candidates and weed through the BS and make a decision based on their candidates qualifications?

Sadly, the point of my post about the media slanting the news doesn't mean that only Republicans are able to understand that. What it means is that EVEN the Republicans can be duped by those that they listen to or read.

Case in point is right on the OSA forums. There are a number of members who are probably Republicans but can't get past the media talking points about some who may or may not be candidates. For example, I would venture that there are some whose knowledge of Sarah Palin is only from what they get from the media.

While I defended FOX News, it might surprise many that I don't really watch that much of FOX. Other than perhaps the 6:00 pm news, I am seldom on that channel. But FOX is much more in the center (politically) than any of the other networks, whether they be broadcast or cable.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on media sources, right or left. MSNBC and FOX really make no bones about the fact that they are the propaganda brances of their respective party, but I agree with the opinion that most of the broadcast media leans to the left.

The Democrats have been successful with growing their tent to welcome the homeless and unwanted goups of voters - gays, minorities, immigrants, etc. Probably made a big difference in the 2008 election. The Republicans have also grown their tent, but it appears that some groups don't welcome the others so much. Many of the factions put forth pretty narrow agendas they will defend to the death, no matter what. The result is so many 'third rails' that a leader with the capabilities of bringing our country together has a tough time walking through the mine field. The GOP's best hope may be someone that is not on the radar yet.

Cedar Creek

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem seems to be that the parties are so polarized that they have forgotten that the majority of us are in the middle and looking for a candidate that represents us, not the extreme ideals of the parties.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo....are republicans the only people able to see the the major news sources are slanted to the left? The other half of the country doesn't have the ability to look at the candidates and weed through the BS and make a decision based on their candidates qualifications?

Judging from the results of the 2008 election, that would be the case....

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a pipe dream, but which candidate has come out stating that the "F" in ATF needs to be eliminated and all import and other restrictions need to be abolished?

Closest I can see is Ron Paul,

Restore the Second Amendment

by Rep. Ron Paul, MD

Ron Paul in the US House of Representatives, January 9, 2003

Mr. Speaker, I rise to restore the right the founding fathers saw as the guarantee of every other right by introducing the Second Amendment Protection Act. This legislation reverses the steady erosion of the right to keep and bear arms by repealing unconstitutional laws that allow power-hungry federal bureaucrats to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Specifically, my legislation repeals the five-day waiting period and the "instant" background check, which enables the federal government to compile a database of every gun owner in America. My legislation also repeals the misnamed ban on "semi-automatic" weapons, which bans entire class of firearms for no conceivable reason beside the desire of demagogic politicians to appear tough on crime. Finally, my bill amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 by deleting the "sporting purposes" test, which allows the Treasury Secretary to infringe on second amendment rights by classifying a firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun) as a "destructive device" simply because the Secretary believes the gun to be "non-sporting."

Thomas Jefferson said "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; ...that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." Jefferson, and all of the Founders, would be horrified by the proliferation of unconstitutional legislation that prevents law-abiding Americans from exercising their right and duty to keep and bear arms. I hope my colleagues will join me in upholding the Founders' vision for a free society by cosponsoring the Second Amendment Restoration Act.

Dr. Ron Paul is a Republican member of Congress from Texas.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This far out from the GE, it would be futile to limit myself to one candidate. I am, however, considering the following (current candidate or not): Cain, Bachman, Palin, Perry, Rubio, Christie, Ryan and J. Bush. I wish Lt. Col. Allen West were running.

I'm not a fan of Gingrich (RINO) or Romney (Romneycare).

Whoever the GOP nominates, Rubio would make a fantastic VP choice, cornering the Florida and national Hispanic vote.

Latest posts

Top Bottom