Best BBQ Joint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slicks was good.
Big 'uns outside of Wagoner, out by Taylor's Ferry, was really good.
He packed up and moved to Belize I think, about 20 years ago.

I am BBQ in Sapulpa was pretty good, but I only tried it once

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Historically speaking, bad brads in pawhuska was really darn good back in the late 90's/ early 2000's. So were some of the old time joints in north tulsa like Smiths and Wilsons. Nowadays I prefer my own... made to order and always on time [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Historically speaking, bad brads in pawhuska was really darn good back in the late 90's/ early 2000's. So were some of the old time joints in north tulsa like Smiths and Wilsons. Nowadays I prefer my own... made to order and always on time [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Known Brad Barton and his family my whole life, ranchers, his parents were neighbors of my parents. He did used to make some good food back in the day in Pawhuska before him and his wife split and she kept that place and he went to Stillwater or OKC area to open up places I think. He's older than me, think he went to school in Foraker or Shidler with the Head Country boys.

Wilsons original joint off Apache when he was still alive was pretty F'n badass -"Dont need to teeth to eat our beef" was right. I would just order a LB of meat with a loaf of bread, some sauce and pickles&onions, maybe a side, and always pie. I would go to town on it right there and sometimes be the only white guy in the place and never felt out of place.

Same as at Elmers when the old man was still there in the original location up further north on Brookside. I used to go in for a Badwich and one of the lil buttermilk or pecan pies.

My dad used to take me to Slicks. We got there one time and all that was left was bologna- it was lunch time. That baloney was the shitt too.

Nearest to me is Billy Rays, Oklahoma Joes, Knotty Pine, Runts (Wagoner), a few others. Split Rail in Coweta closed but theres another lil joint on hwy 51 connected to the meat mkt thats not bad. Dickies is nearby, I really like their smoked ham and its not bad food for a chain joint, same as Rib Cribs baby backs (my dad used to take me to the original R C at Harvard and 15th way back in the day). My faves over the years tho have been Macs in Skiatook, Donny Teels trailor in Sperry, and the Pigstand in Pawhuska. My uncle Harvey used to have a place in Pawhuska wayy back in the day in the 60s-early 80s called BBQ King that was awesome. My lil brother has his sauce recipe and it has to be made 5gals at a time, weve tried to make smaller batches and it never works out for some reason.

You dont know how good you have it here in OK having so damn many decent BBQ places, even if you do do your own at home.

Where I live at in northern CA up on the mountain a BBQ tri tip sandwich from this little beer joint just up the road from my place or one of those Tastee Freeze chopped BBQ sandwiches down in Sonora is your only option for any type of BBQ unless you do your own. When they say 'BBQ' in northern CA it means people are coming over and youre gonna 'grill' steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. When I hear BBQ here it means to me that Im likely gonna get some ribs and or brisket that has been dry rubbed and smoked and my sauce is going on my food AT THE TABLE, not cooked on the food in a congealed sticky mess, and a 'cookout' is people coming over and we're gonna 'grill' steaks, burgers and dogs, etc.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Spriggs is hit and miss but still the best around Midwest city. Ive always heard Leos was the place to go in OKC but never been. Ive had a lot a great bbq from different places but never found a place that was great every time. I ate at the new vans in Shawnee close to i40 and it was delicious...then tried the original Vans since everyone I talked to said it was the greatest. Their ribs were horrible. dry and flavorless.

worst bbq ive ever had was rib crib in MWC.

Last edited by a moderator:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Robb's Smokehouse in Shawnee.

Nothing fancy, no atmosphere, but great BBQ. Some of the best sauce I've ever had and nice tender juicy ribs.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Spriggs is hit and miss but still the best around Midwest city. Ive always heard Leos was the place to go in OKC but never been. Ive had a lot a great bbq from different places but never found a place that was great every time. I ate at the new vans in Shawnee close to i40 and it was delicious...then tried the original Vans since everyone I talked to said it was the greatest. Their ribs were horrible. dry and flavorless.

worst bbq ive ever had was rib crib in MWC.

Mr Spriggs BBQ MWC closed a few years ago last time I checked. We used to go there a lot.

Leos is Ok , liked their cake when I worked by the capitol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom