Best BBQ Joint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also schnapps is gross! :wink2:
It isn't my favorite thing either. But if I get into a situation where I'm mixing drinks, it's usually around. I am not a drink snob, but a BBQ I am!

On the real tho, how can a jager cocktail drinker be snobby about anything food or drink related?
Whoa there racehorse! I like jager, and 99% of the time, it's straight. Same for tequila and bourbon (been enjoying Fighting Cock lately...it's great for the price). Cocktails make up a vast minority of the drinking I do. I'm certainly not afraid to say I do drink them, and like some of them; but for the most part i'm a straight liquor and beer person. Now BBQ...that a whole other world. I've had to become a BBQ snob to survive the mind-blowing variety we have around Austin!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the booze thread got canned it looks like in the great pr0n fiasco, we've moved it here.

Ridge, recommend me some decent ryes. I don't think I've had it, and I wanna try it. Not sure what they have around here in a rye. I don't wanna spend $100 on a bottle of something I've never tried, but I'd prolly spend $50. I drink my Scotch neat and bourbon in a whiskey sour, so I don't know that I'll wanna make mixed drinks with rye, but I don't know that I won't, either.

<edit> Since ya'll were talkin' about Manhattans, I had to look it up and went and made one for myself. All I had in the cabinet to use for the whiskey was some Weller's 107, which is a wheated bourbon. Not sure if that makes a diff. So... it's ok. It's nothing to write home about, if you ask me. How do you guys drink these? Straight up? Over ice? I stirred with ice and strained and added the cherry. Seems like it takes a bit of the edge off the bourbon, but other than that, I don't find it very... special. I dunno.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the booze thread got canned it looks like in the great pr0n fiasco, we've moved it here.

Ridge, recommend me some decent ryes. I don't think I've had it, and I wanna try it. Not sure what they have around here in a rye. I don't wanna spend $100 on a bottle of something I've never tried, but I'd prolly spend $50. I drink my Scotch neat and bourbon in a whiskey sour, so I don't know that I'll wanna make mixed drinks with rye, but I don't know that I won't, either.

Good thing about rye is there are some good cheap ones compared to bourbon and scotch. Prices are slowly inching up tho, as sales go up. My cousin is a local hipster likker snob and high-class bartender and he keeps Rittenhouse and Old Overholdt at the house. Two of my favorites - and cheap. You will see them both at fancy cocktail bars.

I like High West Rendezvous a lot for something a shelf up. Also Whistle Pig, Redemption and Templeton. Knob Creek is good too. Dickel is not my favorite anymore. Too many I like better.

I would start with Rittenhouse. It's like $18 at my local store. Can't beat it. It's either that or Old Overholdt at my house. Fancier when I go out. For some reason bars charge roughly the same for a $18 whiskey or a $50. Go figure.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rye and Mezcal are the only liquors I "get". I drink bottom shelf bourbon as I don't appreciate good stuff, and step above bottom shelf clear liquor (only because I swear with anecdotal evidence bottom shelf clear liqour causes worse hangovers).

I don't care for scotch.

Rye and mezcal and to a lesser extent traditional tequilas I can sip and enjoy and discern differences in. Too bad I only get mezcal choices out of state.

Bourbon - you'll find Old Grandad, Crow or Evan Williams here. Jim at the dive bar. Lawl. No shame.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
<edit> Since ya'll were talkin' about Manhattans, I had to look it up and went and made one for myself. All I had in the cabinet to use for the whiskey was some Weller's 107, which is a wheated bourbon. Not sure if that makes a diff. So... it's ok. It's nothing to write home about, if you ask me. How do you guys drink these? Straight up? Over ice? I stirred with ice and strained and added the cherry. Seems like it takes a bit of the edge off the bourbon, but other than that, I don't find it very... special. I dunno.

Personally, I start with Maker's Mark and any decent sweet vermouth. Traditionally, it's 2-1, but I like to dry it out just a touch, make it 5-2. A dash or two of bitters--I had the chance to try black walnut bitters once, which was neat, but I always just used Angostura--and add about a teaspoon of cherry juice to restore the sweetness. Shake gently with a bit of ice (not too much; it should be cool, not frozen), strain, and add the cherries.

I've forgotten many an evening that way.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I start with Maker's Mark and any decent sweet vermouth. Traditionally, it's 2-1, but I like to dry it out just a touch, make it 5-2. A dash or two of bitters--I had the chance to try black walnut bitters once, which was neat, but I always just used Angostura--and add about a teaspoon of cherry juice to restore the sweetness. Shake gently with a bit of ice (not too much; it should be cool, not frozen), strain, and add the cherries.

I've forgotten many an evening that way.

Pretty much my recipe. I did 2 oz of Weller's (trashed a half-gallon of Maker's in the last 10 days) and 3/4 oz of Rossi sweet vermouth, 2 splashes of bitters. I just added a cherry, didn't add any of the juice. You tried it with Grenadine, maybe? Just thought of that, a splash of Grenadine would add some sweetness with a little different flavor than plain cherry.

Currently drinking some homemade LIIT. I'm feelin'... a bit warm. I'm tempted to go throw some meat on the smoker, but it's 9PM. lol Prolly not the time. Maybe tomorrow, but I'm going out tomorrow night to learn to cook empanadas. <sigh> Guess I get to wait to smoke 'till Wednesday. Dammit.

I'm feeling pretty warm right about now. Please... don't hold anything against me I post beyond this point. lol It's my second time being drunk today. :D

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much my recipe. I did 2 oz of Weller's (trashed a half-gallon of Maker's in the last 10 days) and 3/4 oz of Rossi sweet vermouth, 2 splashes of bitters. I just added a cherry, didn't add any of the juice. You tried it with Grenadine, maybe? Just thought of that, a splash of Grenadine would add some sweetness with a little different flavor than plain cherry.

Currently drinking some homemade LIIT. I'm feelin'... a bit warm. I'm tempted to go throw some meat on the smoker, but it's 9PM. lol Prolly not the time. Maybe tomorrow, but I'm going out tomorrow night to learn to cook empanadas. <sigh> Guess I get to wait to smoke 'till Wednesday. Dammit.

I'm feeling pretty warm right about now. Please... don't hold anything against me I post beyond this point. lol It's my second time being drunk today. :D

Never tried grenadine, just the cherry juice. When you say "splashes," do you mean the 2-3 drops that come out of the bottle when you shake it, or more?

Maybe it's not your thing; each to his own. Just figured I'd share something I always enjoyed.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never tried grenadine, just the cherry juice. When you say "splashes," do you mean the 2-3 drops that come out of the bottle when you shake it, or more?

Maybe it's not your thing; each to his own. Just figured I'd share something I always enjoyed.

A Dash, 3-4 drops, basically a shake.

I like an Old Fashion, but have been adding cherry juice. Just ordered a bottle of orange bitters and bottle of Luxardo cherries. I use Makers

I also like a Rusty Nail. Basically scotch and Drambuie. I usually mix 2-1 or sometimes 1-1 depending on how sweet I like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom