Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned before, but I had another thought. This officer didn't go in for something like 4 minutes, and I would have thought that he might have wanted to be inside even if for no other reason than to try to determine where the shooter was and how he was armed. Even if he couldn't respond himself (after all, students were probably running everywhere in the hallways), he could have at least scoped out the situation so that he could inform other responding officers as to the shooter's location and "possible" armament.

I'm pretty sure that the responding officers would have like to have had that information.
according to the BBC
"It has been reported that the person watching the surveillance system was relaying information 20 minutes old to police, so officers believed the gunman was in a certain area when he was not."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43164634

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
according to the BBC
"It has been reported that the person watching the surveillance system was relaying information 20 minutes old to police, so officers believed the gunman was in a certain area when he was not."

And if the deputy would have entered the building, he could have at least relayed the correct info, even if he didn't engage the perp.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TBH, it seems odd to me that an agency devoted to spying and intelligence tradecraft, would even have "honesty" in their core values in the first place. Spies are liars by trade and cannot ever be trusted fully. It's a distinct dichotomy.

Lemon is a magnificent idiot
First time for me to watch him, but I will have agree after that painful episode. The crazy thing is that I had read similar comments by others online before I turned on his show. Idiot or not, these irrational positions appear to be accepted as reasonable. Countering and educating effectively is going to be a significant challenge. I'm very concerned for our future.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would you do?

I have been vilified on this very board for saying I would like to think I would step up and protect someone else with my personal weapon, as something a MAN should do - protect those who are in need. I've been told, "You're not a cop." "You're a vigilante." "It's not our place, let the police handle it, protect only you and your own." "They don't give you a permit to act like a cop." Similar stuff.

What do you think?

Those on this board who know what I do, know that I work in a wide open environment and can't carry at work. Everywhere I go, I have a heavy ceramic coffee cup in my hand. It's a running joke that often there's not even any coffee in it. Because of what I do, I'm constantly evaluating WWID in an attack. How can I intervene even though I'm not "armed", and the answer is that in some cases, I may not be able to. But IF I can gain a tactical advantage, however slim, I will act. Not because I'm a badass, but because that's what I feel obligated to do and because I program myself to think on those terms every day.

This deputy has my scorn because he collected the benefits of the SRO position, apparently without ever mentally preparing himself to respond. In such situations, you will not "rise to the occasion", rather you will default to your training (as yukonjack so aptly described). He had a responsibility to go about his daily duties preparing himself for exactly this scenario, because it was this scenario at Columbine that spurred the creation of the SRO program. I realize that SRO's do many things in their daily assignment, but this is literally Job #1 in the SRO manual.

In the immediate aftermath of Columbine, many LEO's trained in the "Hall Boss" concept. That later morphed into a two person team response because it was recognized that waiting for four officers to congregate would cost more lives. Most went on to simply say, immediately move to the sound of gunfire and neutralize the threat by any means available. You simply can't dismiss or ignore that exigency and quite frankly, some days the dragon wins.

Was that deputy outgunned? Absolutely. Was he outclassed? Only in his own mind. You have to assume that you'll utilize your training, tactics and element of surprise to win the day. Thinking any other way will undermine your ability to respond in the most effective manner. A frigate can go up against a heavy cruiser and win, if her Commander is bold enough and innovative enough and quick enough. You just have to think you can.

This deputy seems to have been guilty of what we call ROAD syndrome (retired on active duty). I can't think of any reason to not think the least of him. My standards may seem high, but I don't care. It's low standard disease that's killing this country and making it far less great than it could be. :(

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it funny how the same media that lies and puts out negative slants on guns (maybe not Fox but its no secret they lie) that yall get so riled up about, is the same group vilifying this man without any real facts as of yet and your all eating it up like fat kid in an ice cream shop on double coupon day. There are so many un knowns still and you have passed judgement based on a Fox news story... LOL.
Hypocrite much?

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why was Deputy Peterson there?

School resource officers are sworn law enforcement officers who are responsible for safety and crime prevention in schools, although their exact roles differ from school to school and authority to authority. (From Link Above)
Employed by the local police or sheriff's office, they document incidents and as well as working on areas such as mentoring and education. (From Link Above) (I Left out Arrests because in normally does not happen)

Most School systems follow this.
A Student brings a weapon to School
1) School staff takes the weapon
2) He or She is not arrested!
3) Student is suspended until a hearing is held.
4) After hearing and if found guilty, suspended for 1 year (Oklahoma)
5) No Police report is ever filed.
6) SRO can only arrest student with administration approval
7) Can only handcuff student in principal office.
8) SRO do not stop fight or restrain students
9) If a Teacher or District employee files a police report he/she is in big trouble down the line from Admin.

Schools are out of control and Schools Boards and Admin. Will not change Policy's

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it funny how the same media that lies and puts out negative slants on guns (maybe not Fox but its no secret they lie) that yall get so riled up about, is the same group vilifying this man without any real facts as of yet and your all eating it up like fat kid in an ice cream shop on double coupon day. There are so many un knowns still and you have passed judgement based on a Fox news story... LOL.
Hypocrite much?

If it turns out he suffered a heart attack rushing to that door, I'll apologize. Otherwise, what facts are not in evidence? There was a mass shooting, Peterson was aware there was a mass shooting and he didn't act. What beyond a medical event would preclude him from acting? :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom