New Pick-Ups...WTF!?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind having one of those police tahoes that Ron Tate up in Bartlesville has been getting lately. But, its a GM and no $$ for that.

The last truck I had was a 1996 F-150 4x4 with a 302. I traded it for a mustang,which in turn got sold and then bought my Daily driver civic with.

I have a Civic daily driver too. It's a '05 with 205k on it and gets around 37 mpg.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Truck prices are stupid, and every one on the lots around here are loaded to the hilt with useless crap. I own three trucks that are bare bones basic with vinyl seats and rubber floor mats, and the dealers just couldn't believe that anyone would want a truck like that. I work out of mine, and all the bells and whistles don't help me make any more money. I hate truck shopping and dread it every time.

My wife is driving a '04 Honda CRV, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it except she wants a new one. I can't argue with her since I have had multiple trucks in the last 10 years, but I put more miles on a vehicle in a couple years than she does in 10. After looking at a few similar SUV's, the CRV seems like a pretty good value, and it is in a price range I can pay cash.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually recently THOUGHT about getting a new truck....till it thought more about it...LOL .

I've got a perfectly good paid off 98 f150, I really LIKE my truck, through the years I've modified it to make it what i want, i've got TONS of spare parts for it, and i don't mind working on my vehicles and have every tool i'd ever need....like Tim Allen said.."I've got tools to fix tools...rrr.rrrrr.rrrrrrrrrr......."

So i just decided to keep mine, and put some money into refurbishing it and doing some other stuff to it that i've wanted to do for a while. Anyway, we just completely rebuilt the front end, put a lift kit on it, completely rebuilt the rear axle with new gears ( 4.10), differential, bearings, seals, etc..new 33" tires, new shocks, etc..etc..etc.. Bought a new winch and mount, Next is new paint, then some interior work and some more bells and whistles.

I'm already building a new 4.6 PI motor, which when we swap it over we'll put in new power steering pump, big alt and all the accessories, hoses, belts, etc..etc..at the same time, got a new trans and converter ready sittin in the shop.

This truck was in really good shape to start with...had 140,000 on it and i've had it since 80,000...and it had a history being in my family, so i know what's been done to it for it's whole life before i bought it.

All total, with all the labor being done by me, the re-do is costing me about 6 grand ish. MUCH better money spent than buying a new one as far as i'm concerned. So far, i'm as happy as can be with my decision to keep it and redo it. And my wallet will be happier too!!

P.S. If anyone has a similar deal, just so ya know, my truck had 3.55 gears in it (it's a 2wd) and 235 tires stock...i went to 265's and the speedo was of course off. When we put the 4.10's in it, it brought the speedo back to about factory (like 2-3 mph off the actual GPS reading) When we put the 33" tires (285-75-15) on it, the speedo is like DEAD ON. The stouter gears helped the MPG too.

So like i said in my other post...i'll just keep my paid off vehicles and be happy : )

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my business, time is critical, and being broke down isn't an option. I tend to buy new trucks to "lessen the chance" on having mechanical problems. The '09 F450 I bought used required two short blocks between 50k and 90k miles, and I traded it after the second. I took a gamble again in December and bought a 2011 F350 4x4 flatbed with 27k miles on it, and the original owner had paid $45k for it new. I bought it for $26k, and so far, it is my favorite truck ever.

I pull trailers every single day and now only drive gas burners, and it shocks me how many folks around here pay the premium for the diesel motor. I just can't justify the extra $10k up front, two thirds more per oil change, and extra 50 cents per gallon at the pump. The mileage may be better than my my gas trucks, but it isn't enough better to offset the cost.

Granted, mine won't blow any cool black smoke when I take off, but I am too old for that nonsense anyway.:screwy:

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granted, mine won't blow any cool black smoke when I take off, but I am too old for that nonsense anyway.:screwy:

My friend was flabberghasted at the amount of wear on the rear tires of his diesel pickup....and i was like "Cause you gotta load it up, smog everyone out and haze the damn tires EVERY TIME YOU TAKE OFF" He said... "well, yeah" hhahahaa

Latest posts

Top Bottom