Sourdough Starter, Bread and Biscuits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
- Still using the same sour-dough starter I put together when I lived in Wyoming back in 1982. Only thing I've changed in all the years since is a different crock-pot to keep my starter in.
- I've hand kneaded and baked two boles of sour-dough bread every other week since 1983 up until this year when hand-kneading the dough started to become just too tiring for me to do.

Here is my go-to bread recipe (I use a kitchen scale):
1 - cup (227g) - starter
1 1/2 - cups (340g) lukewarm water
5 - cups (602g) unbleached flour
2 1/2 - tsp salt
3/4 - tsp Mrs Wages citric acid for more 'sour' flavor (bought in canning supplies for canning tomatoes)

I used Banneton (brotforms) proofing baskets to shape my boles or occasionally bread pans for loaves
Bake at 424-degrees for 20-30 minutes or until 190-205 internal temp.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- Still using the same sour-dough starter I put together when I lived in Wyoming back in 1982. Only thing I've changed in all the years since is a different crock-pot to keep my starter in.
- I've hand kneaded and baked two boles of sour-dough bread every other week since 1983 up until this year when hand-kneading the dough started to become just too tiring for me to do.

Here is my go-to bread recipe (I use a kitchen scale):
1 - cup (227g) - starter
1 1/2 - cups (340g) lukewarm water
5 - cups (602g) unbleached flour
2 1/2 - tsp salt
3/4 - tsp Mrs Wages citric acid for more 'sour' flavor (bought in canning supplies for canning tomatoes)

I used Banneton (brotforms) proofing baskets to shape my boles or occasionally bread pans for loaves
Bake at 424-degrees for 20-30 minutes or until 190-205 internal temp.
Chuckie, I think you need to make an extra loaf of bread next time you make it so I can buy it from you. I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for a more sour sourdough and that sounds like a great addition.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chuckie, I think you need to make an extra loaf of bread next time you make it so I can buy it from you. I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for a more sour sourdough and that sounds like a great addition.
Using the citric acid does make all the difference in the world between a sour-dough bread and a SOUR-dough bread. Too much makes things a little bitter as well as killing-off too much of the natural yeast that makes the dough rise. Like with all sour-dough recipes, the amount of one ingredient or another can be a forever ongoing experiment in frustration :coffee2:

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using the citric acid does make all the difference in the world between a sour-dough bread and a SOUR-dough bread. Too much makes things a little bitter as well as killing-off too much of the natural yeast that makes the dough rise. Like with all sour-dough recipes, the amount of one ingredient or another can be a forever ongoing experiment in frustration :coffee2:
That's pretty much why I got out of making sourdough bread. Well, that and the fact that I'm not really supposed to be eating bread that much anymore, and if I have sourdough in my house, I'm eating it. 🙃

Latest posts

Top Bottom