Sourdough Starter, Bread and Biscuits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL GC didn't marry me cuz I'm cute ... ;) Gotta have skillz baby!!
Post 12 experienced!!
not sure how I missed this thread for 12 years and I just realised I was "like"ing 12 year old post.
of course several bans and numerous life distractions and I haven't been here all the time so I've missed a lot.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In post 1

What do you mean when the skin loosens?
sorry i don't understand.

I caught that too but couldn't change it obviously. 🙄🙄

There are 2 different ways to deal with the potato -- cook it until the skin loosens and you can peel it off with your hands or peel them before you cook the potato. I kinda jumbled that part of the recipe. I'm surprised no one caught it back then.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys ... Pay attention ... I need to edit my first post to add some instructions but the site won't let me so here they are:

First, when you make your sourdough starter, DO NOT use any metal utensils ... Use a glass or ceramic or plastic container, use a wooden or plastic spoon. Metal reacts with the yeast and will kill your starter.

Second, if you want sourdough taste but not the wait that comes from letting the starter do it's work (12 - 18 hours usually), then add a 1/2 tsp of yeast to your recipe. It will make whatever you are making a little more softer in crumb, but will drastically shorten the rising times so you can have bread or rolls the same day you mix your batter.

I'm testing a biscuit recipe again today (didn't work out so well the last time I tried it) and tweaking it some ... Stay tuned for results ...
Metal kills yeast??
God the jokes I could make

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kinda questioning the "metal kills yeast". My bread maker has a metal baking pan and it rises in it while in the machine. My stand mixer has a metal bowl I've let dough rise in. Dough is placed into metal loaf pans to rise in.
I’m not kind of questioning it. It’s a myth. Bakeries wouldn’t use metal utensils, bowls, pans, if it weren’t a myth.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kinda questioning the "metal kills yeast". My bread maker has a metal baking pan and it rises in it while in the machine. My stand mixer has a metal bowl I've let dough rise in. Dough is placed into metal loaf pans to rise in.

You gotta remember that was originally written back in the Dark Ages and I was 1. Using information other baker's had posted, as well as 2. Personal experience. Maybe the metal wasn't killing the yeast but it most certainly was affecting the way the yeast was working -- and not in a good way. Finally 3. I dunno anything about what kind of metals they used to make bowls and spoons back then as opposed to what they use now. Same for any kind of coatings.

Also ... I know plenty of professional bakers who use metal utensils and equipment so again ... 🤷 AND ... There are different strains of yeast. Sourdough is especially finicky. I've NEVER been able to get anything with a sourdough starter to do anything other than croak like an old hag when it's come anywhere near metal anything -- spoon, bowl, baking pan, you name it. Maybe somebody else has had a different experience but I'll stick with my glass and wooden stuff when I'm playing around with sourdough. 🤷

Latest posts

Top Bottom