Sourdough Starter, Bread and Biscuits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You gotta remember that was originally written back in the Dark Ages and I was 1. Using information other baker's had posted, as well as 2. Personal experience. Maybe the metal wasn't killing the yeast but it most certainly was affecting the way the yeast was working -- and not in a good way. Finally 3. I dunno anything about what kind of metals they used to make bowls and spoons back then as opposed to what they use now. Same for any kind of coatings.

Also ... I know plenty of professional bakers who use metal utensils and equipment so again ... 🤷 AND ... There are different strains of yeast. Sourdough is especially finicky. I've NEVER been able to get anything with a sourdough starter to do anything other than croak like an old hag when it's come anywhere near metal anything -- spoon, bowl, baking pan, you name it. Maybe somebody else has had a different experience but I'll stick with my glass and wooden stuff when I'm playing around with sourdough. 🤷
You are clearly entitled and more than qualified to believe in and create old wife’s tails

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You gotta remember that was originally written back in the Dark Ages and I was 1. Using information other baker's had posted, as well as 2. Personal experience. Maybe the metal wasn't killing the yeast but it most certainly was affecting the way the yeast was working -- and not in a good way. Finally 3. I dunno anything about what kind of metals they used to make bowls and spoons back then as opposed to what they use now. Same for any kind of coatings.

Also ... I know plenty of professional bakers who use metal utensils and equipment so again ... 🤷 AND ... There are different strains of yeast. Sourdough is especially finicky. I've NEVER been able to get anything with a sourdough starter to do anything other than croak like an old hag when it's come anywhere near metal anything -- spoon, bowl, baking pan, you name it. Maybe somebody else has had a different experience but I'll stick with my glass and wooden stuff when I'm playing around with sourdough. 🤷
All I know is that on occasion my sour-dough loaf or bole will be just as flat whether I used metal utensils or non-metal utensils - I think it has more to do with what side of the bed I got up from or whether my cat choked-up a fur ball that morning 🤔

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is that on occasion my sour-dough loaf or bole will be just as flat whether I used metal utensils or non-metal utensils - I think it has more to do with what side of the bed I got up from or whether my cat choked-up a fur ball that morning 🤔

Right?? I never could find any kind of "science" to it. Sourdough is one of those things I'll work at IF the world comes to a screeching halt some time in the future -- and I'll have a half dozen starters going at the same time -- just in case. But until then, like the commercial about mopping, what's better than fighting with a sourdough starter?? ANYTHING!! 🤷

Latest posts

Top Bottom