Where Would You Go and What Would You Do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've actually been considering a move recently, but you can quickly rule out a lot of places in the US.

If you want to live in a place that doesn't have unbearable climate (which for me is extreme cold or heat), unbearable crime, at least two semi-large cities withing a day's driving distance (i.e. not a lot of the southern states have even one decent-sized city - which means you can't find a lot of stuff locally), or states that are 100% non-compatible with the 2nd amendment (which sucks because CA, MA and NY have some really nice areas - I've not seen anything in IL that makes me want to live there)... Your choices are limited.

Been thinking of Pittsburgh a lot lately. Similar to Tulsa (little colder - less southern/bible-belt-ish). Its a fairly Red city but with a lot of middle-of-the-road dems and republicans (not as many extremists on either side - they all live in Philly). Little better mix of culture - not too expensive to live (decent economy brings in middle-income families as neighbors).

I honestly loved Northern CA, but wouldn't live there because of the state's grip on everything (and the political climate). Sucks too because they had great hiking/camping/etc. and as long as you stayed out of the bay, the people were all nice.

Have considered Reno or Vegas, but both places are suffering from a horrible economy and Meth is worse there than it is here (hard to believe, I know).

Oregon or Washington would be ok - but I'd have to live east of the Sierra Nevadas (to get away from Portland or Seattle) and I'm not crazy about how the temps go down and the weather turns nasty once you get to or past the mountains.

I could own a place in Wyoming or Montana, but I don't think I could live there long-term (could do the whole, live like a hermit for a year, but that would be about all I could stand). Pretty much east of that and the weather outweighs the benefit of living there.

To the south, I don't know that I would live in NM (except for maybe the northern part which is basically southern CO) and the political climate of CO is starting to go the way of CA - they want to rule your life too much. UT is pretty much too weird for me - and it had only one city - Salt Lake. AZ has always intrigued me - I have friends that live there (no allergies from what I hear), but it's a love/hate relationship - I love so much about that place and yet hate so much about it at the same time.

I've typically ruled out TX, but I'm starting to consider northern DFW area (or even Plano area). Houston area was on the list, but low because of the smog (traffic is actually worse here since they F@#$ed up all the roads in Tulsa) and ridiculous 4-5 month unbearably hot season.

I'm really trying to avoid the southern states (don't want to downgrade from OK in areas like education, economy, standards-of-living, drug-use, crime, etc.), so I don't typically include them. However, if I could stand the people, I'd live in the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area of FL. Really like to visit that area.

North Carolina or Virginia keep popping up on the radar too - love mountains and beaches in the same state, but I don't know about the economic/political/religious climate there (also - hurricanes are a pretty regular factor anywhere in the southern/eastern parts of the US that touch water).

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably stay right here on the 2 acres I have, in the same house that is just big enough for my wife and I. Probably would buy a quarter section or more within a short drive to have a place to bug out to and hunt on. Then a decent size RV to pull the bike trailer. See the rest of the country that I missed when traveling on business and enjoy the rest of my life!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I choose what ever EZ does. It sounds like he really thought it thru.

Really I would still stay in Oklahoma. A little further north and east and a couple thousand acres and live right in the middle on a personal 100 acre lake. Fish, hunt, hike, relax.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, as a young draftee in the Army, I got to travel all over the US. Some for short periods of time, some a little longer. 5 times in the first year comes to mind.
Deployments and short work trips overseas for the next few years took me to Korea, Japan, Guam, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, and Australia.
Later in life as a civilian, work/vacation has taken me to Mexico, Vensualla, Italy, and all 50 states.

I had the option when checking out of the Army to have my stuff shipped anywhere I had been stationed, as a home point.

It took me about 10 seconds to put down Ponca City Ok.
I grew up around and worked for some of the biggest landowners in the US when a kid. My interests as a kid was and still is open land and quality hunting and fishing. We Had a little family land, had family in the area, and had a great quality of life.
Keep in mind that quality doesn't mean that we had a lot of money. My immediate family was not dirt poor, but in the very lower income middle class.
I've hunted and fished in a lot of states and country's, but nowhere beats the availability I currently have to a major lake, several smaller lakes/ponds, and great hunting areas.
I venture on occasion to other areas of the country to enjoy what they have to offer.
Will Say my wife has a little area in Missouri on her short list of places to retire, and my maybe place would be Grand Lake. We will see how that plays out. The farms take too much of my time currently.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
middle of nowhere in NW Oklahoma...maybe - I would like to buy some of the "family land" back out around Freedom
rural Georgia - want to but won't happen
Guam - would love to but won't happen either

sadly I'd end up about 15 miles out of OKC on the best land I could find

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tampa Bay, I hate winter and love the Gulf. Deep sea fishing, Bike shows, car shows in the TB area and shooting/hunting on my buddies land near Brooksville. Oh wait, this may be a reality in 3 more years.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to live in a mostly underground house with a big underground garage/shop protected from any tornado or flooding. Also I'd have enough land that I could go to my living room above ground and shoot in any direction out of my window without rounds landing off my property from the comfort of a controlled climate. I'd do alot of working on random projects in the shop and send my profits to charity since I don't need the money. I'd also do alot of shooting. My driveway would be miles long and designed like a road course so I could race my Camaro up and down it when I wanted as well as to and from the road. All my OSA brothers and sisters would be welcome on occasion for a BBQ and shooting. A man can dream...

Oh and I'd still be in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom