12 students injured in dog attack at OKC school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you this. First off, was it a PBT? Too many times people (even cops) get them mixed up with other bully breeds. Second thing, if that dog was attacking there would be much worse than "superficial" wounds, nor do I believe the teacher would have been able to tackle and hold him if he was a PBT and in attack mode. Most PBT's I meet in my job are nothing but 100+ lb lap dogs. I have a greater fear of the smaller breeds.
You know how it is. Almost everyone hates pit bulls even though they don’t know a thing about the breed. They were NOT bread to be fighting dogs. They were bread to be working dogs. That is why they are so strong and have so much energy. They were later used for fighting. These dogs are very smart and very loyal. They are not just naturally mean. Bad people get them and either train them to be mean or the dog becomes mean because of neglect. I own two and they are literally the best dogs I have ever had. And I have had a lot of dogs. Most of the so called pits that people see are not pit bulls. They are a mixed breed. A real PBT is at max around 85 pounds for a male and around 65 for a female. A lot of them are bread with mastiffs so they look huge. And the reason pit bulls have such a bad rep is because for some reason they are the dog of choice for low life’s. I guess these low life’s think that having one makes them tough. These losers either raise these dogs to be mean or they are neglected and become aggressive. And then they get out and end up biting someone. All the pit bulls I have encountered in my job which is a lot, have been saints. Mine love to play but also love to lay on the couch. Heck, my youngest lays in my bed and under the covers never to me like a human. I have my arm out and she lays her head on it and lays on her side! Cutest thing on earth. My wife gets jeoulous.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't there, and I doubt any other commenters were either, but I'm not sure a gun would have been the best solution here. A dog attack is a fast-moving thing, and--teeth being a melee weapon, not a standoff weapon--necessarily occurs in very close proximity to the victim. Or a dozen victims.

How many here would say they're absolutely comfortable with their marksmanship to be able to hit a dog under those circumstances and not hit a kid accidentally? Oh, and don't forget that your defensive ammo is designed to achieve a certain degree of penetration against a human, and a dog--even a pit bull--is going to be smaller, so you have to not only be accurate, but guarantee no pass-through.

Who wants to be the one explaining to the kid's parents how he got that bullet wound?
You know how it is. Almost everyone hates pit bulls even though they don’t know a thing about the breed. They were NOT bread to be fighting dogs. They were bread to be working dogs. That is why they are so strong and have so much energy. They were later used for fighting. These dogs are very smart and very loyal. They are not just naturally mean. Bad people get them and either train them to be mean or the dog becomes mean because of neglect. I own two and they are literally the best dogs I have ever had. And I have had a lot of dogs. Most of the so called pits that people see are not pit bulls. They are a mixed breed. A real PBT is at max around 85 pounds for a male and around 65 for a female. A lot of them are bread with mastiffs so they look huge. And the reason pit bulls have such a bad rep is because for some reason they are the dog of choice for low life’s. I guess these low life’s think that having one makes them tough. These losers either raise these dogs to be mean or they are neglected and become aggressive. And then they get out and end up biting someone. All the pit bulls I have encountered in my job which is a lot, have been saints. Mine love to play but also love to lay on the couch. Heck, my youngest lays in my bed and under the covers never to me like a human. I have my arm out and she lays her head on it and lays on her side! Cutest thing on earth. My wife gets jeoulous.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2F20180914_Deadly_Dogs_Forbes.jpg

Over the years, studies into fatal interactions between canines and humans have proven fiercely controversial, given the myriad of circumstances behind different attacks. In the mid-1990s, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention conducted a broad analysis of dog breeds involved in fatal attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1996. Over that period, the Pit Bull was identified as the breed/type of dog involved in 60 incidents, ahead of the Rottweiler in 29 and the German Shepherd in 19.

These days, dog attacks still regularly make news headlines and according to more recent research conducted by a national victims' group dedicated to increasing awareness of the problem, the breeds responsible have not changed too much. DogsBite.org's 13-year fatality report identified breeds of dogs involved in U.S. attacks between 2005 and 2017, as well as victim age groups, the number of dogs involved and whether the incidents resulted in any criminal charges.

The following infographic shows that the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population. The Rottweiler came second with 45 fatal attacks recorded while the German Shepherd was third with 20. Even some breeds that are not associated with aggression, such as the Labrador Retriever, also make the top-10 list with 9 fatal attacks documented.

Due to increasing medical costs and higher settlements due to dog attacks, the average cost per claim has risen 90 percent between 2003 and 2017. According to DogsBite.org, injuries caused by canines accounted for more than a third of all homeowners' liability claim dollars paid out last year, costing almost $700 million. Fatalities aside, 28,000 people had reconstructive surgery after being attacked by dogs in the U.S. in 2015 with canine-related hospitalization stays increasing 86 percent between 1993 and 2008. On average, the cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay is $18,200.

What breed of dog has the most attacks?
The study concluded that dog attacks were most common with the following breeds:
  • Labrador retrievers: 13.3%
  • Pit Bulls: 8.4%
  • German Shepherds: 7.8%
  • Rottweilers: 3.9%
  • Chows: 3.5%
Which dog breed has killed the most humans?
Based on data regarding dog attacks in the U.S. and Canada between 1982 and 2014, the dogs most likely to bite humans are:
  • Pit bulls.
  • Rottweilers.
  • Pit bull mixes.
  • German shepherds.
  • Bullmastiffs.
  • Wolf hybrids.
  • Huskies.
  • Akitas.
THE CONCERN OVER PIT BULLS
Pit bulls are regularly cited as one of the most dangerous dog breeds. Between 2005 and 2016, Pit bull attacks led to 64.8 percent of all dog-related deaths. Over this decade, this type of dog caused 254 deaths.

The number of pit bull attacks and fatalities is not because pit bull breeds are inherently violent. Organizations like the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) do not recognize any difference between a pit bull’s potential aggressiveness and any other breed’s capacity for violence. However, there are reasons why pit bulls contribute to such a large percentage of animal attacks and fatalities. These breeds of dogs are stocky and have one of the strongest jaws of any type of dog.

Throughout history, pit bulls have been bred to fight. Not only will the breed be tenacious in a fight after being injured, but their strength also enables them to inflict the maximum amount of damage on another dog. When pit bulls bite, they tend to lock their jaw and shake. Unfortunately, this translates to their ability to significantly injure or kill another dog or person.

OTHER DOG BREEDS THAT CAUSE FATALITIES
After pit bulls, there are a number of other dog breeds that caused fatalities between 2005 and 2016:

• Rottweilers – 11 percent
  • German shepherds – 3.8 percent
  • American bulldog – 3.6 percent
  • Mixed breeds – 3.3 percent
  • Mastiff/Bullmastiff – 3.1 percent
  • Husky – 3.1 percent
  • Unknown, unreleased, or a combination – 7.3 percent
https://www.knrlegal.com/dog-breeds-frequently-bite-humans/

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2F20180914_Deadly_Dogs_Forbes.jpg

Over the years, studies into fatal interactions between canines and humans have proven fiercely controversial, given the myriad of circumstances behind different attacks. In the mid-1990s, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention conducted a broad analysis of dog breeds involved in fatal attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1996. Over that period, the Pit Bull was identified as the breed/type of dog involved in 60 incidents, ahead of the Rottweiler in 29 and the German Shepherd in 19.

These days, dog attacks still regularly make news headlines and according to more recent research conducted by a national victims' group dedicated to increasing awareness of the problem, the breeds responsible have not changed too much. DogsBite.org's 13-year fatality report identified breeds of dogs involved in U.S. attacks between 2005 and 2017, as well as victim age groups, the number of dogs involved and whether the incidents resulted in any criminal charges.

The following infographic shows that the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population. The Rottweiler came second with 45 fatal attacks recorded while the German Shepherd was third with 20. Even some breeds that are not associated with aggression, such as the Labrador Retriever, also make the top-10 list with 9 fatal attacks documented.

Due to increasing medical costs and higher settlements due to dog attacks, the average cost per claim has risen 90 percent between 2003 and 2017. According to DogsBite.org, injuries caused by canines accounted for more than a third of all homeowners' liability claim dollars paid out last year, costing almost $700 million. Fatalities aside, 28,000 people had reconstructive surgery after being attacked by dogs in the U.S. in 2015 with canine-related hospitalization stays increasing 86 percent between 1993 and 2008. On average, the cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay is $18,200.

The study concluded that dog attacks were most common with the following breeds:
Based on data regarding dog attacks in the U.S. and Canada between 1982 and 2014, the dogs most likely to bite humans are:
  • Pit bulls.
  • Rottweilers.
  • Pit bull mixes.
  • German shepherds.
  • Bullmastiffs.
  • Wolf hybrids.
  • Huskies.
  • Akitas.
Pit bulls are regularly cited as one of the most dangerous dog breeds. Between 2005 and 2016, Pit bull attacks led to 64.8 percent of all dog-related deaths. Over this decade, this type of dog caused 254 deaths.

The number of pit bull attacks and fatalities is not because pit bull breeds are inherently violent. Organizations like the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) do not recognize any difference between a pit bull’s potential aggressiveness and any other breed’s capacity for violence. However, there are reasons why pit bulls contribute to such a large percentage of animal attacks and fatalities. These breeds of dogs are stocky and have one of the strongest jaws of any type of dog.

Throughout history, pit bulls have been bred to fight. Not only will the breed be tenacious in a fight after being injured, but their strength also enables them to inflict the maximum amount of damage on another dog. When pit bulls bite, they tend to lock their jaw and shake. Unfortunately, this translates to their ability to significantly injure or kill another dog or person.

After pit bulls, there are a number of other dog breeds that caused fatalities between 2005 and 2016:

• Husky – 3.1 percent
Fake news. They all just had bad owners or were misidentified.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fake news. They all just had bad owners or were misidentified.
Yep. A poodle can bite you but most likely not kill you.(they bite more than pitbulls) There is a difference that has been in the past been misrepresented by biting and killing. A bite by a poodle is bad, a pitbull bite is life threatening if not deadly.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

• Pit bulls.
  • Rottweilers.
  • Pit bull mixes.
  • German shepherds.
  • Bullmastiffs.
  • Wolf hybrids.
  • Huskies.
  • Akitas.

• Husky – 3.1 percent

truth-behind-dogsbite-org

the-truth-behind-dogsbiteorg.html

Seems "Dogsbite" is to PBTs as CNN is to AR15s.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pit Bulls are not the only dogs that "chop and shake". Every GSD I've had has been that way. Remember back in the 60s-early 70s? GSDs were "death dogs". Most feared animal on the planet. My dad's client, who had a ****ing lioness, could come in and everyone in the waiting room would fawn all over her and pet and hug on her completely oblivious to the fact she was a wild animal and could kill them ALL in the blink of an eye. A GSD puppy would come through the door and they'd grab their children and pets and run screaming out the back door.

Back then the tough guys' choice of dog was ... wait for it ... German Shepherds. See a theme here?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pit Bulls are not the only dogs that "chop and shake". Every GSD I've had has been that way. Remember back in the 60s-early 70s? GSDs were "death dogs". Most feared animal on the planet. My dad's client, who had a ****ing lioness, could come in and everyone in the waiting room would fawn all over her and pet and hug on her completely oblivious to the fact she was a wild animal and could kill them ALL in the blink of an eye. A GSD puppy would come through the door and they'd grab their children and pets and run screaming out the back door.

Back then the tough guys' choice of dog was ... wait for it ... German Shepherds. See a theme here?

and I'll offer that it was Rotweillers, Chows, and Dobermans in the 80s and 90s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom