Is anyone on here muslim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know very little of the true Muslim teachings. I have had a few muslim acquantences, but not enough to get a true feel as to what the moderate teachings are.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Then prove him wrong. It's a silly debate to argue over something that can be neither proven, nor disproven. All we can do is respect each others beliefs until they take it to the point of douche-baggery (and at that point, it's time to blame the individual and not their faith because they were probably pretty screwed up before they got into religion).

It's funny that when someone commits a crime with a gun, everyone on this board are quick to blame the person and not the gun, but when it comes to Islam (or religion), everyone wants to take the blame off of the individual.

I know atheist zealots that honestly sound just like the religious zealots. I'm with GTG 100% in this thread, people are screwed up and there's no reason to blame anything else when they do screwed-up stuff.

i would enjoy a good religious debate, but the butthurt some would experience would close the thread down and might get good people banned.

With that, i think the problem of evil devistates religion, while lack of reasonable reasons for altruistic actions devistates the opposing crowd.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really a matter of belief. Unless you can show me any physical evidence it's all nothing more than a matter of faith, e.g in peoples' minds.

Just because we can't prove it now. If you are so safe in your beliefs why do you feel it necessary to attack others? Try telling people in ancient times the world was round. They'd laugh at you and ask you to prove it. And the knowledge, (at that time) wouldn't of allowed you to. Or the ancient thinking of the world was the center of the universe.

It is my belief that someone has created the universe. My proof, is that either this is true, or that our science is messed up. Basic laws of physics. There can't be a reaction without an action. So, if nothing was there to start the "big bang", you could infere there would still be nothing. Why at the point of creation, at that specific time, did it happen?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Wesley's call to experience Christ personally can be called a precursor to believer's baptism. Methodists baptize infants just like Catholics and Lutherans.

The whole "God punishing here on earth, if you're successful you must be doing something wrong, and if you're not, you must be cursed" is about 180 degrees opposite of any Methodist sermon you are will ever hear. Again, read the Methodists views on social justice and their Social Creed and tell me how any of that supports prosperity gospel. Or any of Wesley's sermons. I think you're way misconstruing the "experience Christ personally" thing. We're talking about John Wesley, not Ayn Rand.

For the record I'm not a believer but have to defend my Methodist family because as far as church people go, and especially as far as church people go in the south, they're pretty sane. :D

The Holiness movement and Charismatic movement both consider Wesleyan teachings as a large contributor to their faith (those were the only two examples on Wikipedia - to be fair, I thought several other evangelical churches were off-shoots of Wesleyanism with a little Calvinism sprinkled in) and they're pretty inline with most of my examples, so its possible that I need to figure out where they strayed from Wesley's teachings and blame that guy for that stuff and just blame Wesley for the issues in which Methodism is wrong :)

Don't get me wrong, while I disagree with a few Methodist principles, I still hold them in higher regard than a lot of the more radical Christians (to be fair, compared to Lutherans, Methodists are like a Girls Gone Wild video).

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Methodist Social Creed is pretty much the Green Party platform with the word "God" scattered about. :D

Dude, I have read that before but never in that light. That is possibly the best thing I've read on the internet in at least the last 2-3 hours :P

So my son and daughter go to a Presby pre-school. Whatcha got on them from a comparative Christianity perspective? (I'm not a Christian but we just happen to like that school and the families/atmosphere/employees there).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Holiness movement and Charismatic movement both consider Wesleyan teachings as a large contributor to their faith (those were the only two examples on Wikipedia - to be fair, I thought several other evangelical churches were off-shoots of Wesleyanism with a little Calvinism sprinkled in) and they're pretty inline with most of my examples, so its possible that I need to figure out where they strayed from Wesley's teachings and blame that guy for that stuff and just blame Wesley for the issues in which Methodism is wrong :)

Don't get me wrong, while I disagree with a few Methodist principles, I still hold them in higher regard than a lot of the more radical Christians (to be fair, compared to Lutherans, Methodists are like a Girls Gone Wild video).

The main thing I have in common with Methodists is our mutual love of making fun of Baptists.

Yeah, I can't speak for the other churches, but I've had to sit through enough Wesley history and FUMC sermons to know you have both of them a bit twisted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom