Y'all got yer black-eyed peas and cornbread ready for tomorrow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd rather eat a big 'ol scoop of dirt before black eyed peas.........

I believe the 'tradition' started after the Civil War in the South. During General Sherman's march to the sea, he ordered all crops to be burned except for black eyed peas (which were used mainly for livestock feed). It is supposedly rumoured that he didn't want to make the livestock suffer, therefore leaving food for them. The Southeners were forced to rely on the peas to get them through until the next crop rotation. They were 'lucky' that they still had this resource. Hence the tradition.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can eat black-eyed peas if i have a pint of chowchow for every pea. I never paid any attention to that old ridicules tradition. Just like sitting up late dont do it cause its just another day that i have no control over whether it comes or not.
That's how we ate our beans growing up. Big bowl of beans, giant scoop of butter, giant scoop of chow chow, giant slice of cornbread covered with another giant scoop of butter lol.

Support Dev

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Administrator Supporter
Reaction score
Did you have greens (turnip greens, or something similar) to go with those black eyed peas? Peas for no hunger, greens for money to be coming in during the new year. Even cabbage in some manner will do for the greens.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I like black eyed peas well enough although I haven't had them in a long time. We never had a tradition of a certain meal for New Years Day. I guess that's why I've never been prosperous, at least in the way most people define prosperity. :)

I hope 2024 is truly a happy, new year for everyone.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can eat black-eyed peas if i have a pint of chowchow for every pea. I never paid any attention to that old ridicules tradition. Just like sitting up late dont do it cause its just another day that i have no control over whether it comes or not.
Chowchow, I almost forgot the chowchow. I will have to pick some up at Crest tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom