If you have a High School diploma and a training class you can be hired as a Teacher now in Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I struggled with math all through school. Then I started roofing houses with my future father-in-law when I was 14. He didn’t have a high school diploma. He‘d take me with him to give estimates, etc. That’s when I learned the practical applications of how math works. First thing I learned was how to measure a roof to figure out the square footage. After that it all started to make sense. He would have made an excellent math teacher.

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fail to see how only requiring a high school diploma is going to make it easier for someone like a doctor to transition into teaching (why in the world would they anyway). If that doctor's credentials didn't qualify them to teach something related to their field what's the point?

I have a BS in Environmental Health Science and an MPH in Occupational Health and Safety. My entire career has consisted of me teaching people safe food handling, proper safety precautions and conducting inspections for both. I'm confident I could step into a classroom and teach public health now, but I could definitely benefit from a course on classroom management.
And pedagogy

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about this hiring non degree people although many people with no degrees have a lot to offer in the school of hard knocks, advise and so on. A through background check would be in order to weed out the "undesirables." .I am concerned about the failure of our school systems in the "dumbing" down of students and "awarding everyone a trophy" for simply attending school.
These days I think they award HS diplomas for chair time in that a studious student will receive the same as a extremely bad and disruptive student. The both graduate but one shouldn't.
I just fear for the country and poor decisions our politicians have made and basically the weakening of our nation in many aspects.
Perhaps.it may be beneficial to hire those with no degree, a degree is not a measure of intelligence but rather an attendance form.
A lot of us older folks have a lifetime of experience to share and it might make a difference in some young person's life that will be long-lasting.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fail to see how only requiring a high school diploma is going to make it easier for someone like a doctor to transition into teaching (why in the world would they anyway).
There are a lot of folks in technology fields who don't have college degrees, and some of them would make great teachers.

This isn't about forcing unqualified teachers into classrooms, it's about allowing districts latitude to fill jobs with good candidates who are only missing one arbitrary checkmark on their CV.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think just the opposite will happen. OEA is ruffled because now it's not necessary for educators to go through a university indoctrination system prior to appearing in a classroom........just my thoughts. I'm all for retired or folks with expertise in particular subjects entering the classroom at the HS and middle school levels. Elementary on the other hand, I'm not sure how anyone couple prepare or learn how to tolerate those booger eaters all day everyday lol.

I know students who've had some HS math teachers who'd been teaching for 20y who couldn't explain why 1 comes before 2 and they were "teaching" Geometry and Trig. In the end, I don't think this will be a bad thing. Many teachers in general cheapened themselves out of a job. They want CEO pay, dress in sweats and yoga pants everyday, complain about no respect and continue to push the limits of what is acceptable and not acceptable in the classroom. I know a guy who lost his job last year who was an oil field guy. He is big into travel team youth basketball and a 6A school was looking for an assit coach. He took the job while still doing some part time stuff to help pay the bills. Right before school started a physical science teaching position opened up and wasn't being filled, they asked him if interested and he took it. He's been having the time of his life, and feels like he may have missed his calling years ago.
This.

I have psych hospital experience, and taught adults at my last job. Maybe I'll apply

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
And pedagogy
Universities still teach the same pedagogy that they taught over the last 50y yet today's kids aren't the kids of 15y ago let alone 50y ago.

It's not going to be long and someone will need to totally and completely revamp the education system. Memorization for the most part isn't needed anymore, facts and stats are at our fingertips. Exposure to current and historical events, life skills, critical thinking and math procedures needs to be the focus imo.....not hours and hours of blanket memorization, it's no longer necessary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom