If you have a High School diploma and a training class you can be hired as a Teacher now in Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fail to see how only requiring a high school diploma is going to make it easier for someone like a doctor to transition into teaching (why in the world would they anyway). If that doctor's credentials didn't qualify them to teach something related to their field what's the point?

I have a BS in Environmental Health Science and an MPH in Occupational Health and Safety. My entire career has consisted of me teaching people safe food handling, proper safety precautions and conducting inspections for both. I'm confident I could step into a classroom and teach public health now, but I could definitely benefit from a course on classroom management.
lion tamer final.JPG

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting into teaching now is akin to self-immolation, regardless
Of your degree or certification.

As much as I would like to teach, this is the reality of it. Even if the kids were okay (and generally speaking I tend to be able to deal with the kids) the parents would drive me to actions that would land me on the 6 o'clock news ... 😬😬 It is good to know your limitations. 😉😁

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the second time I've seen this article shared and I think is misleading at best. Reads like a tabloid story.

This one helps clarify a little.
https://kfor.com/news/local/new-okl...cators-does-not-loosen-teaching-requirements/
Emergency certification and/or adjunct status is not new. Adjunct can also be a certified teacher teaching a subject outside of the area of their degree. I don't have the most recent numbers at my fingertips, but my best guess is that about half of all teacher applicants are not teacher trained. I known and worked with many alternative certified teachers with degrees (including doctorates) in law, chemical engineering, math, etc. Many of them became highly effective and outstanding teachers. I don't know any of them that would say they wouldn't have benefited from teacher training.

Latest posts

Top Bottom