Restrictions on Concealed Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a topic very important to me as well. I've tried to read as much as I could find the last few months.

I am a school teacher and have participated in active shooter drills. Going through one of those drills defenseless is a sickening feeling.

Changing our current laws is necessary. Dave Kopel has some good research that I have posted on OSA before.

I feel ya there. I work in the school system, and the town the campus I am on at currently has one city cop who would likely wait to finish his donut and coffee first. OHP and the SO are the only real LE presence we have, and there's not that many deputies. After some of the poems I've read that were left in the trash or someplace else, I'd be worried about some kids - not from a "OMG THAT IS DARK POETRY" point of view, but because I remember when that was the only kind of poetry I could write.

At least at this campus, I am right next to an exit. At my other campus, the SOP for an active shooter is to run toward the threat. Pretty often I think about looking for another place of employment that will at least allow me protection to and from work, but the scrip insurance keeps me around (I still spend $200 a month on asthma meds with insurance). Also, the fact that I like my coworkers helps. And I've always had this guilt of quitting problem...

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.2. Definitions
DEFINITIONS
As used in Sections 1 through 26 of this act:
1. Concealed handgun means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden
from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the
person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a
vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding
as a passenger; and
2. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches and is able to
be fully concealed from detection and view,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material
which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to
discharge the projectile.
The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act
shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing
guns or blank pistols.

The SDA restricts us to no larger than .45 caliber and no armor piercing bullets. The Judge shoots a .45 caliber projectile or a .410 shotgun slug or shot, either of which are smaller than .45 caliber. The Judge is a rifled barrel revolver that meets the qualifications for a legal revolver. Nothing in the SDA would prevent you from carrying one concealed. Personally, I like the 2.5" chamber with 000 Buck as it groups nicely inside of seven yards and has very managable recoil.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The college and public school concealed carry prohibition is putting our kids at risk and needs to be at the top of the list for legislative action. Unfortunately school administrators seem to be totally opposed and they have the ear of the legislature. Part of this debate is who controls the language - whenever they say it is crazy to let "students" have guns they need to be corrrected. Let them know it is about "responsible adults" carrying concealed whenever they spout off about students. Hopefully the common sense of the founders will prevail before we experience more Columbines or worse a Beslan style terrorist attack.

Public libraries provide a little humor - what is the prohibition against concealed carry there supposed to do? Prevent irate customers with overdue fines from going berserk?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep I work in a K12 district's business administration center. My assigned role in a lockdown is to lock my office door and cower under my desk.

I think I would feel much better making a run for my truck. Where I park it off campus.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say Tinker AFB needs to be added as a place to legally leave it secured in our vehicle Heck WE have to pass the gov't background check to get our job and then pass it again every five or ten years depending on your job. Gee, we can be trusted with all kinds of info and are told every year in anti-terrorism training that we are potential targets off-base yet they resrtict us of our chance for protection. I don't know about most but I have a 45 minute drive to work and home. Most of it is two-lane isolated roads. I do not like the fact they will not allow us the chance to protect ourselves.
-planefixr

What about the people who live on base they can't own firearms.

Do they have to check personal weapons into a Armory?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a simpler approach would be to change the restricted areas list to:
Bars, as guns and alcohol do not mix.
Jails/prisons/detention facilities.
Courthouses.

I have to disagree with the OP about bar carry. It is allowed in Nevada and Utah and perhaps elsewhere and there seems to be no problem with it. Guns and alcohol do not mix - agreed, but you should be free to carry in a place where alcohol is sold or served as long as you are not impaired.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I listed those three restrictions as I do not believe we will get all restrictions lifted and those three would be the most difficult to get changed.

If you go somewhere to drink, do not carry a gun. Bar owners can already carry a gun in their place of business and can extend that to their employees. The designated driver is the only rational argument for CCW in a bar and perhaps such a provision could be made.

Bottom line is that many Oklahomans who are trusted with a firearm, have gone through the hassle of the SDA permitting process, and who happen to work in restricted places are denied the means of self protection. Let's start chipping away at these restrictions. Look at the list of restricted places, make your own priority list, and ask your state legislators to get to working on allowing protection for all of us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom