Restrictions on Concealed Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a member of a school board and a prosecutor. I would like to see a mechanism that allows some teachers to carry at K-12 schools. Maybe including something like CLEET certification. The concerns from a school board perspective are two-fold. One, not all people with a carry permit are highly proficient and rarely tested in a true pressure situation. One firearm in the hand of a nervous teacher in a class of 20-25 kids could be disastrous. Second, kids will be kids. Most are great, some are just mischievous, and a few are downright bad. The kids will know which teachers have guns and which don't. That creates an atmosphere for a high school prank gone really bad or an extra opportunity for a bad kid to do harm. The best solution is LEO on campus or very close.

Exsniper said: "we trust the a license holder who happens to be a teacher to carry a firearm everywhere except school. Why are they suddenly more of a risk when they walk onto school property?"

This has been my position as well. If I am carrying at work (while teaching) it would be concealed. Although I like the idea of the police dispatch being able to inform LEOs called to the school who is carrying.

If the state is going to forbid me from being able to carry for my own protection doesn't the state then bare the responsibility to provide my protection? That would include something more significant than a "gun free zone" sign or police who would most likely only arrive in time to fill out reports.

IIRC, Neveda offered to pay teachers extra who complete CLEET training. I'm not sure I would be in favor of a plan like this. If receiving pay for carrying I become law enforcement rather than an employee excercising the right to self protection. BTW I have CLEET certified training.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, Neveda offered to pay teachers extra who complete CLEET training. I'm not sure I would be in favor of a plan like this. If receiving pay for carrying I become law enforcement rather than an employee excercising the right to self protection. BTW I have CLEET certified training.

I'm not sure if it ever passed, but it's not CLEET but rather the equivalent in Nevada (CLEET is just Oklahoma, afaik).

otherone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition to extra certification or training, the school would need a safety plan that takes armed teachers into account as much as possible. For example, my home safety plan involves getting my children out of their rooms and behind me or out of the house with their mother (who is also armed) so I have a clear background to shoot the bad guy down. Doing this in a school situation is far more difficult. I don't want the nervous teacher shooting the qualified and proficient teacher through the wall. I am not sure how best to handle this and would appreciate any good ideas. I would be happy to take them to my legislators and would encourage you to contact yours. The biggest difference we can make is letting our elected officials know what we think as often as possible.

red -evo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello! New in the forum and by the way a very good one.
I have the same problem here but in my case is a Hospital intead a school. I am a Physician working in a hospital with no guns policy. Most of the times I have to go to the hospital after midnight for a ER consultation or an emergency. On my way or returning from the hospital specially on weekends I feel my self at risk specially in the parking lot (in the past some people has been attack) Security in the hospital is minimun at that time.
I also think that we should be allowed to carry (concealed) during work hours.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome red-evo! Not being able to carry to work is a huge problem. Is it a private hospital or a government facility? Have you talked to the administration to see about an exception to this silly policy?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a member of a school board and a prosecutor. I would like to see a mechanism that allows some teachers to carry at K-12 schools. Maybe including something like CLEET certification. The concerns from a school board perspective are two-fold. One, not all people with a carry permit are highly proficient and rarely tested in a true pressure situation. One firearm in the hand of a nervous teacher in a class of 20-25 kids could be disastrous. Second, kids will be kids. Most are great, some are just mischievous, and a few are downright bad. The kids will know which teachers have guns and which don't. That creates an atmosphere for a high school prank gone really bad or an extra opportunity for a bad kid to do harm. The best solution is LEO on campus or very close.

Why just teachers? Aren't your business administration and support staff just as exposed in their workplace by being forced to disarm? Again my assigned duty is to cower under my desk during a lockdown.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It took 911 to make people change their minds about airline passengers taking agressive actions when hijackers try to take over. What if anything will it take to wake people up to threats at other places?

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom