Restrictions on Concealed Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planefixr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the people who live on base they can't own firearms.

Do they have to check personal weapons into a Armory?

If you live in base housing the firearm has to be registered with Security Forces and must be stored under lock and key, firearm and ammo (ammo under lock and key as well) separated. Or yes they have the option of having it stored at the armory. We as civilians who work on base have no option of using the armory (to my knowledge, if anyone knows different and can provide the needed info and regulations. I will gladly accept the information).

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the list of restricted places, make your own priority list, and ask your state legislators to get to working on allowing protection for all of us.

I've done this and will continue to do so but after a few years of seeing good 2nd Amendment-restoring legislation struck down in the state legislature, I'm beginning to question whether my state legislators are the representatives of the people or members of a ruling elite. It seems that they will always listen to the administrators and special interests who don't want concealed carry on their turf.

So don't give up the struggle but at the same time we have to be aware of the hurtles involved. If enough Oklahomans raise a fuss then things can change, but I've come to think that these changes are going to happen in other states first and then Oklahoma will follow. Once the public and affected administrators and our state legislators see that things do not turn into the wild west, then it can happen. Otherwise it's us "gun nuts" against the voice of powerful administrators who claim they have all the security concerns covered and really know what is best.

Flyboy

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The only reason I left bars on the list is that most people who go to bars do so to consume alcoholic beverages. While you may be able to insure you do not over-imbibe, even one or two drinks may be too much. Could an attorney convince a jury, especially in a civil trial, that the one or two beers impaired your judgement even though you were not over the legal limit?
I realize a designated driver who is not drinking might still be perfectly capable of also being the designated armed member of the party, bars are a place that are more likely to cause problems. I am not a good source on this one as I avoid bars altogether. Notice it is not illegal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages so long as it is not their primary business.
Please cite cases of this being a problem in Indiana or other states in which it is legal not only to carry, but to drink while carrying.

If you can't cite examples, you're using the same lousy arguments as the antis ("oh, but somebody might do something bad, so we have to stop everybody from even having the opportunity!").

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please cite cases of this being a problem in Indiana or other states in which it is legal not only to carry, but to drink while carrying.

If you can't cite examples, you're using the same lousy arguments as the antis ("oh, but somebody might do something bad, so we have to stop everybody from even having the opportunity!").

As I stated previously, I would prefer no restrictions, including not needing an SDA permit to exercise a right. I am also a realist and know that we need to win small victories rather than fight major campaigns we have no hope of winning.

There are a number of states that allow carry into bars and while drinking but I do not believe Oklahoma legislators and most of the public are ready to accept that.

Flyboy

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But that's not what you said. You said "one or two drinks may be too much," and that "bars are a place that are more likely to cause problems." I don't disagree with your position that Okies--in particular the Legislature--may not be ready to lift that particular restriction, but I do challenge you to defend your claim that allowing bar carry would cause problems. Can you show a problem with people who lawfully carry in bars, or is it unfounded speculation?

Understand, please, that I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but to refine the argument. In the great debate between us and the antis, we're fortunate to have logic and fact on our side. We need to whet that knife and wield it skillfully at every opportunity if we're to be successful.

CaryssaK

Marksman
Reaction score
i agree with you but i think bars should be a lil more ok cuz trust me i am a girls that is 118 and when i got out at night i want to know i can protect myself in a dark parking lot after have a beer with friends cuz that is the number one place girls get grabbing but they are less to fight back

neverjeg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I understand why those on the supreme court might have trouble understanding these 14 words. But, I am suprised that those here do.

Are any of you actually suggesting that there is something missing from the Amendment? Should it be longer and have an except for .... section?

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Constitution of the State of Oklahoma says that we have the right to keep and bear arms but the legislature has the authority to restrict the carrying of weapons. As I stated several times previously, no restrictions is better but we are working within a system that has restrictions. What are we doing to try to chip away at these restrictions? Let's quit arguing amongst ourselves and get busy contacting your state legislators and ask them to start making changes.

otherone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a member of a school board and a prosecutor. I would like to see a mechanism that allows some teachers to carry at K-12 schools. Maybe including something like CLEET certification. The concerns from a school board perspective are two-fold. One, not all people with a carry permit are highly proficient and rarely tested in a true pressure situation. One firearm in the hand of a nervous teacher in a class of 20-25 kids could be disastrous. Second, kids will be kids. Most are great, some are just mischievous, and a few are downright bad. The kids will know which teachers have guns and which don't. That creates an atmosphere for a high school prank gone really bad or an extra opportunity for a bad kid to do harm. The best solution is LEO on campus or very close.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a member of a school board and a prosecutor. I would like to see a mechanism that allows some teachers to carry at K-12 schools. Maybe including something like CLEET certification. The concerns from a school board perspective are two-fold. One, not all people with a carry permit are highly proficient and rarely tested in a true pressure situation. One firearm in the hand of a nervous teacher in a class of 20-25 kids could be disastrous. Second, kids will be kids. Most are great, some are just mischievous, and a few are downright bad. The kids will know which teachers have guns and which don't. That creates an atmosphere for a high school prank gone really bad or an extra opportunity for a bad kid to do harm. The best solution is LEO on campus or very close.

One, we trust the a license holder who happens to be a teacher to carry a firearm everywhere except school. Why are they suddenly more of a risk when they walk onto school property?
Two, kids will be kids, so adults must be adult and retain total control over their firearm at all times. How will the kids know unless the teacher tells them, brags about it, or leaves it unattended where it could be discovered? All of these are simple to avoid.
I agree CLEET could possibly come up with a course outline for training teachers that could be taught at certain locations throughout the state every summer to certify teachers already in possession of an SDA license to carry on campus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom